Engine conversions

G

GPGP

What engines fit under the bonnet of a k11 and with what mods. This has probably been posted several times but there seems to be no sign of a similar post in this section.

I am aware that the sr20de from either the primera gt or almera fit in but do they need new driveshafts?
Is there any other almera or sunny engine worth putting in that is cheap?

I i've always wanted to put a bike engine in a micra, it can be done. the average 1ltr ( 1000cc ) super bikes have twice the bhp as a 1ltr micra and plenty of torque, possibly good for 170mph too,
I've seen a car with two hyabusa engins in it, it had 300 bhp, thats just greedy

the sr20 will need new drive shafts made up. the cheapest thing you could do to a micra is put in a cg13 from another micra. its just a straight sawp! drive shafts and engine.

I i've always wanted to put a bike engine in a micra, it can be done. the average 1ltr ( 1000cc ) super bikes have twice the bhp as a 1ltr micra and plenty of torque, possibly good for 170mph too,
I've seen a car with two hyabusa engins in it, it had 300 bhp, thats just greedy

the problem with that is that bike gearboxes use smaller, lighter and finer gearbox pinions than a car gearbox and also a much lighter clutch, this makes them quick to wear when pulling the weight of a car body about, this has been a problem in bike based trikes for ages now due to the extra weight of the rear axle and the extra traction of two tyres being driven instead of one, and is probably one of the main reasons for the rise in popularity of car engined trikes, most successful bike engined cars use a light tubular space frame chassis and a lightweight body and components.

I don't even think Dave Bull's micra could do 170mph and that has 390bhp on high boost. (Crazy Micra- I used to work in Dastek when it was dynod)

Q: Given the right equipment, how long would it take to swap a 1litre engine for a 1.3. Will there be any electrical issues with a different ecu? Upgraded fuel pump? What is the 0-60 time for a std 1.3?

Cheers for the comments boys!!!

I don't have a digital camera to show you the custom made exhaust I made for my micra. It sounded glorious. It didn't have a backbox as it was a side exit!!! It wasn't too loud but sounded very raspy.
If you need any info on how to make your own side exit give me a shout as it is very easy if you can angle grind and weld. There is also special slot under the nearside rear door that is perfect for it.

I don't even think Dave Bull's micra could do 170mph and that has 390bhp on high boost. (Crazy Micra- I used to work in Dastek when it was dynod)

dave is actually on here. He claims to have hit somewhere around the 175mph mark, limiter in 5th gear he said.

170 mph is achieved with considerable ease!

If you check the video on Streetfire.net it hits 150 in a matter of seconds!

And it made 393 bhp at DASTEK on the low boost setting...10 psi...LOL!

Here ya go...

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/micra/0/ee4010d0-5b9f-466f-9a46-afd5d477d979.htm

Dyno.jpg

SR20DE+T: Does this mean it was a NA engine before a turbo. Wow. I thought it was taken straight out of a pulsar. So if it used a NA sr20de, are the internals fiddled with?
Is the car got any mods left in it or has the power reached the end of the line? Just wondering because there are some homebuilt cars I know of trying to run sub 12 at crail during the summer. One of them used to own the crail record before the little bandit came along.

SR20DE+T...

An SR20DE variant with an added turbocharger assy.

The engine has SR20DET pistons and Eagle conrods.

Power reached the end of the line...god no...that was at 10 psi.

I will be remapping the car at the end of April to net over the 450 HP mark, hopefully with a much wider powerband.

And running sub 12's at Crail is very hard for a FWD car...traction is the issue, not power!

I doubt the Micra will ever reach the end of the line...it's with me for life now!!!

Here's what I'm doing for traction...

DSCF0148.jpg

Who is it that you know who used to hold the record...Alan Duthie?

Kenneth Law. He is on the same course as myself at Heriot Watt uni. He has a silver mk2 golf that he is rebuilding and hoping to take the record. It won't have as much power as your car but it has been known to get better traction of the line. I think he is a friend of yours but I'm not sure.

Question:
What part of Scotland are you from? I am from Dunfermline
Have you terrorised any ricers or evos with the car?
If you are focussing the car for 1/4miles, why would you want to widen the power band? This will give you even more wheel spin issues unless a diy traction control system is used. Also, you would have to change your neat front side exit exhaust for a more standard rear exit as this would rock the power curve towards more bottom end rather than top end power. This is why top fuel dragsters have very short exhausts, to limit bottom end power and hence wheelspin off the line.

When I decided to rip my exhaust apart, I installed a DIY side exit, exiting under the nearside rear door. This decreased the length of the std exhaust by over 1.5m and hence top end power was transformed. Being a small engine though I had to use a bit more clutch to get it off the line as there was slightly less low down torque.

That videos speeded up, look how fast the lorrie is going when micra enters the motorway and the camra work is realy jumpy (like it dose when you press fast farward) then it plays normally going under the bridge (or has good brakes) !!! fwn

That videos speeded up, look how fast the lorrie is going when micra enters the motorway and the camra work is realy jumpy (like it dose when you press fast farward) then it plays normally going under the bridge (or has good brakes) !!! fwn
I doubt it has been sped up.

Also, having personally done a fair amount of filming inside cars doing upto and over 180mph I can quite categorically say that it's hard to create NON-jumpy camera work whilst being forced into the back of your seat under acceleration!!

Dave, big fan of that wheel/tyre set up!

look at speedo then not the sorta thing u can fake lol 80-120mph very quickly

Kenneth Law. He is on the same course as myself at Heriot Watt uni. He has a silver mk2 golf that he is rebuilding and hoping to take the record. It won't have as much power as your car but it has been known to get better traction of the line. I think he is a friend of yours but I'm not sure.

Question:
What part of Scotland are you from? I am from Dunfermline
Have you terrorised any ricers or evos with the car?
If you are focussing the car for 1/4miles, why would you want to widen the power band? This will give you even more wheel spin issues unless a diy traction control system is used. Also, you would have to change your neat front side exit exhaust for a more standard rear exit as this would rock the power curve towards more bottom end rather than top end power. This is why top fuel dragsters have very short exhausts, to limit bottom end power and hence wheelspin off the line.

When I decided to rip my exhaust apart, I installed a DIY side exit, exiting under the nearside rear door. This decreased the length of the std exhaust by over 1.5m and hence top end power was transformed. Being a small engine though I had to use a bit more clutch to get it off the line as there was slightly less low down torque.

Ah, Kenny!!!

Yeah, I talked to him in November 2005 when I first ran into the 12's. Seemed a nice enough guy! On that day I ran a 12.85 @ 123 mph and I think Kenny then beat that about an hour or so after with a 12.78 @ 113 mph.

I then beat the record the next time I ran at Crail in June 2006, with a 12.77 @ 124.7 mph on my 3rd run of the day. The car then ran a 12.58 @ 125.7 on the 6th run. The times got better and better that day with a PB of 12.18 @ 126.8 mph in the final of the FWD class.

Kenny's car does launch well, I will give it that, but it was on a semi slick tyre and had a lot less power to try and put down. I wish him the best of luck for this year!!!

I am from the Falkirk area and generally don't race the car on the road...too much to lose!!!

The car was primerally built to run as an everyday car, with a bit of weekend dragstrip action to boot. I have now modified it to run in a more general state, being able to do both circuit and dragstrip disciplines.

I wish for a wider powerband because it will be more fun to drive..simple as that! I think with the wider, stickier tyres, grip shouldn't be as much as an issue...more breaking drivetrain parts!

My exhaust now exits just infront of the bottom of the driver's door. I had to relocate the exhaust as there wasn't any room with the large tyres when turning lock to lock.

Eh, aye, the video's speeded up!!!

I doubt it has been sped up.

Also, having personally done a fair amount of filming inside cars doing upto and over 180mph I can quite categorically say that it's hard to create NON-jumpy camera work whilst being forced into the back of your seat under acceleration!!

Dave, big fan of that wheel/tyre set up!

Here's another video of the car at Crail on it's first outing bck in October 2005...

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/micra/0/68fe7a0c-fd70-44cc-b726-989300807b0c.htm

See also how shakey the camera is...LOL!

dave, u beta hope the police dont find that video, nice what 1/4 mile you running?

I don't know who was driving! Honest!!!

Best 1/4 mile is 12.18 @ 126.8 mph...wheelspin till the 1/8th (limited traction until 3rd gear).

Hoping to break into the 11's or crack 130 mph barrier this year!

Cheers

Dave

What are the chances of getting a sr20det running to the rear wheels using the pulsars gearbox and diff etc? You would probably need to chop out a fair chunk from the middle of the car but it would definately solve traction issues!!!

I am in the process of finishing a locost 7 build with a mate. Will probably take it up to crail when it is through its sva but it won't be breaking any records!!! It has the most untunable 1.8 cvh engine in the world and will weigh around 550-600kg wet. About 160bhp/tonne. (Built on the cheap)

Once I finish my 4th year exams, I will set about finishing off the chassis plans for a one off drag/race car. Unfortunately, I cannot disclose any specs or plans as I would not want anybody copying the designs. But if you want hints about design influences read Ian Bamsey's " MP4/4 Mclaren Turbo - A technical Appraisal" and "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" by A Graham Bell. Another hint: It does not include anything from a micra. lol

Cheers

What are the chances of getting a sr20det running to the rear wheels using the pulsars gearbox and diff etc? You would probably need to chop out a fair chunk from the middle of the car but it would definately solve traction issues!!!

I am in the process of finishing a locost 7 build with a mate. Will probably take it up to crail when it is through its sva but it won't be breaking any records!!! It has the most untunable 1.8 cvh engine in the world and will weigh around 550-600kg wet. About 160bhp/tonne. (Built on the cheap)

Once I finish my 4th year exams, I will set about finishing off the chassis plans for a one off drag/race car. Unfortunately, I cannot disclose any specs or plans as I would not want anybody copying the designs. But if you want hints about design influences read Ian Bamsey's " MP4/4 Mclaren Turbo - A technical Appraisal" and "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" by A Graham Bell. Another hint: It does not include anything from a micra. lol

Cheers

I know that I could use the Pulsar running gear to make it 4WD but I run in the FWD class, and that is where it will remain!

Top fuelers are not the fastest. Hydrogen peroxide rocket fueled dragsters were the fastest back in the day. ( 1/4mile in 3.58 @ 386mph. ) But they were banned by the NHRA in the 80's.
Also, my build is for a drag car that can perform on the track, and not solely a dragster. It will be a mixture of Norris' evo, an F1 car and the freestream T1. But it will not be 4wd.

There are many reasons for doing a project like:
1) I hate people who's main aim in life is to copy cars like Norris' evo, Cowie's skyline or Forrest's scooby. Yes, they are fast but they are none other than a tuned engine and a stripped out interior. There is no thinking outside the box involved in producing one of these cars. A hayabusa powered mini or an sr20det in a micra has more sole and lateral thinking.
2) The above mentioned cars are too heavy in various department and too compromised. Why build a car intended to transport one person down a track out of a 4/5 seat car? It's insane. Think of an F1 car, it has nothing more than the bare minimum needed to transport 1 person around a track at the fastest speed. The old v10's would produce 1/4miles in the 8's with a fair whack of downforce still employed!!! They can also corner at over 4g and break at 6g.
3) The Bugatti Veyron:Many people love the Bugatti. I hate it. At the start of its life, the aim for the car was to topple the Murray's F1 and show off VW technology. Fair enough. What is produced nowadays is a compromise between obesety, under powered, creature comforts, half a heat exchanger factory and a bank. What is the point of trying to beat the f1's top speed with a car that lost VW around 4/5 million for each car. 4/5 million is around 8 times the price that Macca was designed and produced for. At least McLaren made some money out of the F1 but not as much as you would think. Major car manufactures seem only to be producing compromised cars today. You only have to look at the back of various car mags to see the weight of cars increasing year by year. The only manufacturers still producing focussed cars are small companies with like Lotus, TVR, Ariel, Caterham, Westfield and Koenigsegg etc. These cars are built for driving and for fun times. The only problem with these companies is that they usually do not make much money compared to commercial manufacturers like Toyota etc. Back to the Veyron:
Gripes: Its engine is too heavy, too complicated and underpowered, it should not have been 4wd, hence it should not need 13/14 heat exchangers. The top speed is a claimed 253mph only a suppossed 12 mph up on the F1. And cost £800,000. On this exact thread we have a Micra that cost less than £10K (excluding handling mods) that could do over 170mph and is as aerodynamic as a brick. I cannot wait for the Freestream T1 and the new British contender to take the Veyron's acceleration and topspeed record. At least it will prove that the car industry still has the balls and heart to produce awesomely fast cars once again.
Another point to end on: Did you know that before the 2nd world war "Bernd" Rosemeyer set the land speed record for a car at over 300mph. This trounces the Bugatti and it was none other than a highly tuned engine and a primatively designed aerodynamic body shell!!! Please comment.

Gonna have to study.

See you later.

Please comment.
Before I say anything I'd like you to know that I encourage your idea of designing a new car. It's great seeing people thinking outside the box.

I wouldn't say that Simon Norris' Lancer was exactly a stripped out 4/5 seater with a tuned engine though. I'm not too well up on the other two cars mentioned (although I've seen them at drag strips) but Simon's Lancer is one of the only SWB Evo's ever created, it's now only got two doors, not because the rear ones were welded up, but because the whole car is now several inches shorter, and the roof is several inches lower. And the car, whilst it has a lot of it's interior removed, isn't exactly stripped out, it still has a full dashboard for instance. I know Simon has said that he never wanted to make a full on drag car...he just wanted to make an exceptionally fast evo that retained the feel of a regular evo. I take your point that the fastest way up a drag strip is not in a family saloon, however he runs an Evo tuning business and if he put all that money into anything else than a car that retains the look of an Evo, then he would be foolish and broke.

A similar story with the Veyron. I think if VW wanted to make the fastest car that they could then they would not have built the veyron. There is a big difference between the Veyron and a land speed record attempting car. For a start it must be 100% road legal...which is getting to be more and more of a challenge for manufacturers which the amount of emissions issues they have to get round. Also the appeal of a veyron to many is it's luxury. Having been in an F40 a couple of times I have to say that I loved it...but luxury was never something that was on my mind. No carpet, no stereo, no doorhandles, no electric windows or power steering, really rattle plastic windows, etc...not to mention the noise. It was great for a race fanatic...but for a billionaire who is accustomed to luxury, the Veyron offers all the comforts a car can offer...which is a credible acheivement. Now, the Mac F1 had some nice comforts available..which is what (other than the top speed) set it apart from the rest of it's competitors, so the argument is that why should it cost so much more to build the Veyron. Well in my opinion, it is simply down to the power difference at that point. The Veyron hasn't beaten the Macs top speed by 1 or 2 mph, it's eclipsed it by 22.2mph! That's going by official speeds, I realise that the Mac F1 was driven at 240.14mph once (9.14mph over it's top speed, but this was many years later and who is to say someone won't do the same with the Veyron. I'm sure you can appreciate that beating a 231mph top speed by 22 mph is highly different to beating a 200mph top speed by 22mph. Every single .1 mph at those speeds is precious and costly. Now all this extra money that's gone into the car hasn't all gone on making the engine powerful enough to do those sorts of speeds. I would guess that MOST of the money went on working out how to do those speeds on tarmac with road legal tyres, without bits falling off, tyres dissintegrating, losing traction, etc. VW did not build this car with the intention of making it marketable. It was merely an engineering excersize, and a marketing strategy.

Now I'm gonna go and get in my K10 and pretend its an F40 :laugh:

Norris' evo just developed the audi sports quattro look for an evo. That's all he has done. Dialynx has been doing this to normal quattros for years now. I would'nt say Norris has copied the Audi SWB but it has certainly influenced the design, including lowering and tilting back the windscreen.

The McLaren's top speed is 240.1mph with a delimited rev limiter as tested by Andy Wallace at nardo test circuit. This car was road legal with no performance enhancing mods. Road cars have their topspeed limited to 231mph by the rev limiter. But this can be removed easily. Also, don't forget when the Veyron is delivered it has a speed limit of around 230mph inplace for safety reasons, like the F1.

The main area of development and of expendature for the Veyron was on the engine and gearbox. Designers were puzzled in how to dispose of 900+lbsft through a 4wd sytem without splitting it in two. Also the tyres weren't designed inhouse, they were outsourced to a major tyre manufacture.
Also designers realised in the 1920's and 30's that 16 cylinders were far too much for an engine as there were too many internal friction losses involved in the running.

I have to say that I appreciate the Veyron for what it is and I do not blame anybody for saying it is there favourite car. But it is not for me. My favourite car designer is Gordon Murray for one reason only; his sheer uncompromised attitude to focussing on how a car goes. My opinions may quite harsh about the Veyron, but my only interest in cars is how they go and not what they look like or how comfy they are. I have 100% petrolhead in my blood and 0% ricer. I see only BHP/ton ratios and drag coefficient when I look at a car. (Unless it is a Lancia Integrale Evo giallo fly or a Alfa SZ lol)
Cheers

Back