Egg smell when booting it!

Hi all,

Anyone any ideas what a smell of egg might mean when booting my car?! No remarks about boldily functions please :p It's definately the car!!

mint! hoped it was ok!! cheers lads - never smelt it before you see....had a bit of fun with a Alfa Romeo and a Cavalier SRi on teh way home from work haha.

I havn't got a rev counter - sometimes i'm glad about that!

I havn't got a rev counter - sometimes i'm glad about that![/QUOTE]:laugh:
Yeah sometimes you just have to rag it to like 25 in 1st and 50 in 2nd etc, and hope nothing goes pop! :laugh:

you can go faster then that. As long as its warm you can hit the limiter in gear if you wish :S. mine does something like (off the limiter) 31 in 1st, 58 in 2nd and 88 in 3rd.

Ian said:
you can go faster then that. As long as its warm you can hit the limiter in gear if you wish :S. mine does something like (off the limiter) 31 in 1st, 58 in 2nd and 88 in 3rd.
Oh yeah I've hit the limiter in 1st 2nd and 3rd before, but you're out of the power band if you're on the limiter, it sounds good with a nice backbox though!:laugh:

its the catalistic converter. if it keeps making an egg smell then you'll need a new one and they ain't cheap cos they have platinum in them :)

you need them because they burn up all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust and if you don't burn up the fuel then you wont pass your emmitions test in the MoT

the problem is the catalistic converter is not truely a catalist becasue it is not 100% efficiant and so will eventually run out and you need a new one :)

NeX said:
its the catalistic converter. if it keeps making an egg smell then you'll need a new one and they ain't cheap cos they have platinum in them :)

you need them because they burn up all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust and if you don't burn up the fuel then you wont pass your emmitions test in the MoT

the problem is the catalistic converter is not truely a catalist becasue it is not 100% efficiant and so will eventually run out and you need a new one :)

hmm....maybe I better drive nicely for a while then! :p

Ian - I reckon I've hit 35 in 1st, although I'm pretty sure there is no limiter on mine - I'm sure it valve bounced! ( I'm told that's not good :( )

You have had a chicken in there...lol
if you can smell that you have something wrong like a leaking exhaust somewere

You have had a chicken in there...lol
if you can smell that you have something wrong like a leaking exhaust somewere

NeX said:

is more than likley to be that, however if it is just a new one then for a few weeks or months i burns something so you get the "egg" smell when it is new aswel.

Glenn said:
is more than likley to be that, however if it is just a new one then for a few weeks or months i burns something so you get the "egg" smell when it is new aswel.

that's useful to know :)

Back