ECU gone?

Hi all, I'm new here but need some advice of some long time micra owners!
I'm pretty handy with motors but my wife's micra has me and my mate stumped.
Its a 'Y' reg K11 1.0L with no spark. We've both checked everything we can think off. All electrics are ok ie: fuses,relays and all wiring seem in the correct place and in good condition. We are getting fuel through fine and the pump is fine. The engine is NOT flooded. The NATS system seems to operating fine (my mate checked this but he says the light is blinking the correct number of times and turns off/comes on correctly?)

So we are now thinking ecu fault? The engine turns over fine just won't fire cos there is no spark. This has happened before a couple of times but it has always started again within half an hour or so. And it seems to happen after rain?? Its been sat for about 4 days now and is still dead.

Also if it is the ecu, I'm presuming the new (or secondhand) ecu will need coding to the car for the keys and ignition barrel?
Or get an ecu with a full set of locks, barrel and key?

Many thanks in advance,
Mark.

Ignitition module gotta be or is there a main relay? Main relays usually live Under the footwell in most cars bolted to the side, was quite common in my civics and had the same symptoms the solder goes dry and cracks just need to resolder and bob your uncle
It could be many things before the ecu
Crank sensors are ######s for dying and cam sensors they cause no spark

Its not the relays or fuses, we've checked them. Its a 2001 model so all the ignition is controlled by the ecu and the coil packs can't have all failed in one go! Not thought about the cam and crank sensors though.

Its not the relays or fuses, we've checked them. Its a 2001 model so all the ignition is controlled by the ecu and the coil packs can't have all failed in one go! Not thought about the cam and crank sensors though.

Ahh are they coil on plug, then yes I'd definately check the cam and crank do you have an ohmmeter or picoscope? If not a good multimeter should have an ohm selection

Yep the joys of ecu controlled ignition!! My mate is an electrician so he'll have a decent multimeter :) Do you know what they should be putting out?
And i know the crank sensor is on the right side of the block but don't know where the cam sensor is?

The ECU makes the coils spark based on the signal it gets from the crank sensor. Take it out and give it a wipe!
If your mate can tell you the NATS is working he should be able to see if the crank sensor is giving a signal.

If the ecu is blinking isn't this a NATS fault?

ECUs are matched to the chip and receiver so you would need the lot.

Ed (on here) can supply ecus without NATS for pre coil pack cars but I think coil pack cars need everything changed to get round it.

Right, I'll check the crank sensor first. Whers is it?
The cam sensor is on the timing chain case on the right hand side but dunno about the crank sensor?
I'll have to ask my mate about the NATS again, but even if its the NATS surely that'll need to be a replacement ecu job anyway?

Right, I'll check the crank sensor first. Whers is it?
The cam sensor is on the timing chain case on the right hand side but dunno about the crank sensor?
I'll have to ask my mate about the NATS again, but even if its the NATS surely that'll need to be a replacement ecu job anyway?

Crank sensor Right side that's where the gear box is cam is on the left where the chain is
As said give it a clean with it being a magnet it may have picked up some ####

Excellent!! Thank you both very much. Took the cam sensor out gave it a clean, popped it back and it fired on the first turn of the key!!!
Nice cheap fix which is always a bonus :)

HOLD IT!

The cam sensor is just a magnet and coil of wire inside a plastic case!

Giving it a wipe might help but you will probably find the casing is leaking.

If you want to be fancy about it, check the signal with an Oscilliscope. Instead of a nice clear regular square wavelength you will see chips missing out of them.
Because the fault has to happen a certain amount of revolutions in a certain space of time the ECU doesn't put up a fault code or will assume the Crank sensor is at fault. Doesn't happen so much with K11s but we have changed a few cam sensors on K12 Micras and N16 Almeras.

Back