ECU (car tuning)

Hi,

I watched this program the other day, I cant remember the name (something like scrappies, it was on turbo) but basically the guys bought scoobi and they wanted to do it up and sell it on to make a profit. They done basic stuff, like new break calipers, new discs, new tyres (incl "rims" - whats the normal word for rims? I hate that chavvy word). They also had to change the clutch, and I think they did the suspension too. One thing they also did, was change the air filter and exhaust (better air filter obviously allows the car to breathe better, bigger exhaust allows bad fumes etc to leave easier). At first, this actually reduced the cars BHP, but when they took it to a tuning garage, the guy played with the ECU and this increased the BHP dramatically.

My question(s) is/are, what does the ECU actually do for the engine and how can you tune it to make the engine run better? Also, why did the BHP actually decrease initially when the new air filter and exhaust was added?

I'm a bit of a noob with mechanics, but i am finding all of this more and more interesting. I find myself wanting to know more about HOW things actually work to improve a car, not just what you need to do to improve a car.

Hi,

I watched this program the other day, I cant remember the name (something like scrappies, it was on turbo) but basically the guys bought scoobi and they wanted to do it up and sell it on to make a profit. They done basic stuff, like new break calipers, new discs, new tyres (incl "rims" - whats the normal word for rims? I hate that chavvy word). They also had to change the clutch, and I think they did the suspension too. One thing they also did, was change the air filter and exhaust (better air filter obviously allows the car to breathe better, bigger exhaust allows bad fumes etc to leave easier). At first, this actually reduced the cars BHP, but when they took it to a tuning garage, the guy played with the ECU and this increased the BHP dramatically.

My question(s) is/are, what does the ECU actually do for the engine and how can you tune it to make the engine run better? Also, why did the BHP actually decrease initially when the new air filter and exhaust was added?

I'm a bit of a noob with mechanics, but i am finding all of this more and more interesting. I find myself wanting to know more about HOW things actually work to improve a car, not just what you need to do to improve a car.

ECU controls everything. Fuel, spark etc..

Have a browse through this site, it's really good :)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/trends-innovations/car-computer1.htm

Rims = wheels

Factory ecu is set for normal air intake and exhaust, if more air is coming in the ecu may not fully understand that and will provide too much oxygen to the engine

Thank you guys.

So do all cars have an ecu? This must mean we could potentially change thr chip and take the car to a tuning garage to get it all reprogrammed at thr correct levels?

Older cars used mechanical versions of an ecu, but new cars are all computer controlled by the ECU. When you get a car rolling roaded at a tuning garage they will alter your original ecu's settings to get best performance... I think :p
@h701micra will know more

Thank you guys.

So do all cars have an ecu? This must mean we could potentially change thr chip and take the car to a tuning garage to get it all reprogrammed at thr correct levels?
You can map Micras. They aren't cheap though.

By mechanical I think that Huggy meant mechanical Dizzy's and mechanical fuel injection or carburation (no ecu). Our cars have electronic dizzy's and electronic fuel injection (ecu controlled).

Back