economical gear change

Simonh

Midlands Rep
what speeds would you change gear at. i found that when i first passed i basically ragged it through the gears and changed to second at about 30mph...but my wallet finally convinced me not to. but i think now i find myself changing to early and the car bogs quite a bit which apprently is aldo bad for your mpg...i find myself changing to 3rd gear about 25mph....4th about 35...and 5th about 45....where is the best to change gear to get the most economical results.

someone has told me that mpg will drop because of the winter....but not this much...i think i may have dirty injectors and they are just staying open?

Cold weather makes a big difference, car takes longer to get warm so less efficient, you have things like heated rear window, blowers etc on which is a big drain on power.

i sue rear heated windscreen and the simple heater fan at the front...so that is an effect on mpg?

but modded micra im talking about approx a quarter of a tank in about 20miles?

yer that is too much, i'm just saying it makes a big difference. Listen to the revs dip when you switch the wipers or rear winscreen on!

ill try driving on monday to college without them on and see how it effects it....anything else i can try...im gona check tyre pressures and put my standars air filter back in in place of my k and n panel filter

Coasting is where you either hold the clutch down, or slip it into neutral and just roll, ie.down hill. But its actually illegal :p as you don't have full control of your car. But its like, who's gonna know :p I do it all the time, lots of hills where im at, just watch your speed, as you have no engine braking.

A smooth style of driving is far more important than worrying about what revs you're changing up at. To put it into context, I worked it out that I get between 38 and 40mpg from my 1.3, and I accelerate briskly up to speed using the full rev range, where appropriate.
If I was passengering with you and you started coasting in an effort to save fuel, you'd be feeling a draught and wondering why the interior light's come on. For one thing, you're simply not in full control, and for another, it uses more fuel to keep the engine idling in neutral than it does for it do be rolling along in gear with no throttle.

Anticipation is key - as a far better driver than me taught me - don't join the queue ahead, start a new one. Basically, if you can see cars backed up at a RAB (roundabout) or traffic light, ease off the gas nice and early, not to #### off drivers behind, but early enough that you only need to brake gently to a halt, or even a nice smooth change into the correct gear, and you can often go through without even stopping.

For open road drivng, I'm not a fan of the clog-and-anchor approach - I'm big on passenger comfort, and that doesn't go with tyre-squealing starts and last minute braking. Yet again, it's all anticipation. Plan where you're going to need to have the car at the correct speed, in the correct gear, balanced on the throttle before you start to turn into the curve.
Then plan it backwards, taking a couple of seconds for a nice smooth gearchange typically means you need the length of an articulated lorry to take the gear - so a lorry's length before the corner, you need to have finished adjusting your speed.
If you can adjust it just with acceleration sense - easing off the power early, rather than braking - then you'll use less fuel than hammering up to the corner and stamping on the brakes.
[If it's a larger change in speed - e.g. into a sharper bend, then again, plan it early, but gently take up the slack with the brakes, then slow the car with firm braking. Don't change down the box, 4-3-2 style, doing so wastes fuel, wears the clutch (more expensive and trickier to replace than brakes), and destabilises the car more than is necessary. Again, take the gear in the pre-planned spot, while travelling that lorry-length.]

Coming out of the bend, increase the pressure on the throttle as the road straightens out - squeeze it in slowly rather than stamping on it. Again, keeps the car stable, the drive smooth, and uses less fuel.

Try ot keep the revs below about 3-3.5k until the engine is up to temp - it saves wear on the engine, and again saves you fuel.

To emphasise it, the main things are anticipation and smoothness. Handily, these go hand in hand with safety, and making good progress. Yes, I am a true, true driving enthusiast. Might sound very clinical, but it's helped me keep it shiny side up while blowing much more exotic machinery into the weeds, for three and a bit years now...

I shift at about 2.5k when I'm doing economy runs. To pick up speed for motorway and dual carriageway sliproads, I take it up to 4k because just under that is where all the torque is, which helps with the acceleration to 70. I also rev it up a bit higher in 3rd so I can just block shift into 5th, and skip 4th. Dunno if any of that can be considered economical, but whatever, micra's get pretty good fuel consumption anyway, and petrol is relativly cheap at the moment!

And then I get stuck behind some old biffer on a country road doing about 15mph, and I get road rage and rag it for the next 5 or 10 minutes, and undo all my careful fuel saving driving.

when i drive eco i keep the revs between 2000-3500 so engine is not under to much load an not revvin th ar** off it but normally im not eco

what is coasting because my friend sed i should try to do more of it?

coasting uses more fuel than taking your foot off the throttle with it in gear as the engine needs fuel to idle but cuts the fuel completely when there is no throttle.

In my 1.0L when i want to save fuel, after the engine is warmed up, 2000 rpm shifts around town, 3000-4000 rpm duel carraige ways etc

Back