E10 petrol

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
I have some older Micras , pre 2000 with the Nissin engine management as opposed to the later Bosch ... from what I gather pre 2000 Micra's are not officily recommended to use E10 .... I seem to get the idea that E10 has been used down under for a while and has anyone any issues with earlier Micra's using this fuel ?? .. my main concern would be corrosion of parts exposed to Ethanol ..

thanks for any input :)

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
I used e10 for about 4weeks go ****ty mileage, I always used 91 or 95 plus car ran like a bucket of ****

CMF_Wallie

» CMF Member
ethanol fuels are never as simple as put in & run, you need a decent tune & bigger injectors as the car will run like ****. also as RTK mentioned e10 gets bad fuel efficiency 15% more usage than standard pump fuel and no real gains. if your going to run an ethanol based fuel might as well run e85 if going through all the effort, will get the same usage of fuel but with a 20-25% increase in power with tune & injectors.

corrosion is inevitable using ethanol but upgrading all your fuel lines to suit will make the last longer.

at mate of mine has been running e85 in his familia gets about 350k's to a tank and upgraded all his lines to braided

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
I always run 98+ octane, occasionally with a mothball added to the tank to increase the octane rating. I get better economy and torque... cruise uphill in 5th where I usually have to drop to 4th with one mothball.

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
thats what I wondered Frank , if we are already using 5% mix , why does a 10% mix suddenly cause problems with fuel lines , tanks , pumps etc due to corrosion , performance aside the cars are just pottering around to the shops and work as opposed to doing any gutter scaping around country corners ( not that I did much ;-) ) , one car did 1500 miles last year so its not a big mover !!!

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
the E10 is supposed to be more stable than E5 eh mike, but i think if you go from E0 to E10 you will feel a noticeable difference (like the AU trial, and the german public,s rejection of it)
it would have to be a lot cheaper for me to want to use it personally

Back