Driving Lights

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ok, ive gotten over the fact that i have a colour coded lx bumper on my super s, and instead of shelling out a small fortune at the wreckers, im going to buy some aftermarket 100w driving lights. (I simply love small rally looking cars :))

Would the rounded lights look better than the rectangular type? im mounting them to either side of the license plate.

Anyone got pics of their own to share?

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Toma,

As you have a Super S it should be fairly easy.... there shoul be wiring behind the bumper for driving lights already. Placement/size/style is really a matter of personal taste.... I personally reckon some small round ones would be the way to go in a similar position to the standard "Super S" lights.

If you like rally cars how about these ex-works nissan micras.... Unfortunately this spotlight configuration definately would not be legal on the road !.
http://www.rallykitcar.net/kitcar-super1600/nissan/micra2.htm

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Haha! That bumper is awesome! Im guessing its a custom front bumper to house those lights?

Do the Super S driving lights come on with the 'dusk' setting? Eg, not the full beam just the little one... If so, i dont think a pair of 100w lights would be suitable to plug into it! Thinking of wiring it into one of the middle console buttons. next to hazards and rear window warmer.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ok! Got some neat looking 100w spotties that ill try mounting tomorrow morning.
I question. There is 2 plugs that arent attached to anything that are coming off the same loom as my headlights. Ive deducted that theyre the extra driving lights that the super S is ment to have (ive got a super s with an lx front bumper). Can anyone confirm that the orange/brown connector with a green and black wire are infact the driving lights?

Also coming up soon, carby cleaner to get all the crap off my throttle body and a re-solder to see if i can get a nice idle and economy! Woot! :D

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Theyre pretty cool! :D

Reeeeally bright.

Attachments

• 14349.jpg
    14349.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 34

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
One huge problem tho, The idiot that installed them (me) didnt check to see if they would point straight and not hit the bumper. And so now they do that.

Ive highlighted the areas of interest, the back of the case touches the bumper and the top is basically 3-5mm from the front of the bumper bit. Im thinking about drilling/cutting out more of the bumper so i can drill another hole closer to the front, giving it a bit more space to point down at the back.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 14350.jpg
    14350.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 31

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Yeh think i will hack away at it a bit.

Just drove thru a cloud of bugs tonight. very very angry. Car is covered in dead bugs.

Also, poped the high-beams on going up my road and lit up a 2 storey house quite well >:D

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
then they point too high. :p

Those little lights you have are pencil beam (i can tell from the lense shape). They don't actually work very well when positioned down low and are affected greatly by changes in car load and road angle.

I hate to say it but you're probably going to experience a decrease in high beam effectiveness unless they are mounted up higher. (yes, more lights is not always better!)

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Yeh they are quite directional, which is what i want. Low beam heading slightly out to the sides at maybe 3-5 degrees so i can light the road sides. After all, it is suburbia. Dont need to look out for wandering cows at 120km/h in the dark.

As for the pointing too high, yeh :/ cant go back any further and hence the problem! doh!
Getting it sorted soon, then i slam up a pic of it lighting something up.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Washed the car, first time since the lights have been on.

It was one of those special moments where you say "Yeh." Nod the head and walk away with a grin. So, i snapped a photo of them. :)

Still i must find a way to restore the plastic on the headlights to a nice clear look rather than the dull yellow-ish tint. Yuck. The spot lights really highlight the colours! Eeek!

Back