Driveshaft circlip

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Just lately I've been getting a tapping/ticking noise inside the car.

I actually thought it might be a buckled wheel at first, so i took it the local Garage to see what they could find and it appears that the Drivers side Drive-shaft Circlip has broken off.

You'll know if the Circlip has broken because you'll be able to move the Driveshaft.

I've ordered a new Circlip from Nissan so hopefully this will stop the noise.

I asked if it was dangerous as it stands and they said it'll be ok to drive, just don't over do the cornering otherwise the shaft might lock up.

Anyone else ever had this problem as it's the first time I've come across this sort of thing.

It happened on mine a couple of years back, I was stuck on a supermarket car park until I put the shaft back in the hub.

I bought a new Circlip and a couple of new new Nuts for the Bolts that hold the strut to the Hub as they were fubarred. Got as far as getting the Hub off the Strut and disconnecting the Steering Rod.....found out their was a ring of Rust on the inside of the Rubber Drive shaft Boot. In the meantime i decided to split both the steering Rod and Lower Arm Boots.....:laugh: tried to remove the Shaft from the Outboard joint but it wouldn't budge. so rather than do any more damage I put it all back together.....only there was a slight problem.....

When i replaced the Steering Rod the Nut that holds it on went so far which is when the Tie-rod started spinning and there is no way of holding it still....:doh:

At 20 years old I believe that this is the original Outboard Joint so even though it's not worn or broken I think I'll get the Car booked in to remove the hub with the proper tools.

Ordering 2 new Tie-rods, 2 Joints, 2 Lower arms (both rusty) i near side Driveshaft Rubber Boot £££££......F....how much?
thud.gif

Cars eh? :laugh:

micra110

you can stop the trackrod end from spinning by pushing down on it with a long metal bar, and the outer cv joint has to be "shocked" off with a big hammer :eek: (the circlip has quite a bite)
are you sure its not just the cv joint thats worn out ?

Frank: cheers for the Tip :) I thought the Shaft would fall out easily as the Circlip is missing but oh no..*shakes head*
The Joint itself looked to be in ok condition, all ball bearings were present, plenty of grease not really a lot of play.
I think it just needs the right tools to sort out this problem as the CV Joint is really in there.
I've found a new Tie-rod in the Garage, it's the same size but not quite the same shape.o_O

Sonic: cheers for that, I had a look on Ebay and found a lower arm and CV joint.
Going to find out whether the Ball joint is replaceable on the lower arm as some can be changed without replacing the whole Arm and *Rubber Bushes (*already purchased some time ago)

the ball joint and lower arm are a pressed fit and an absolute b###ger to split, far better to replace the whole arm, the rubber bushes can be removed and replaced though.

Back