drive shafts?

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
I was just wondering how can you tell if your driveshfts are starting to become faulty?

I just replaced my gearbox and it seems to be no problem coming from there. In stationary the car makes no noise, both at idle and when reving.

Take it for a drive and I get this whoop whoop sound. I haven't been able to locate the noise yet but when I compress and realease the clutch it still makes the same noise. So it seems like the clutch and box are working well.

So I was wondering if this could be the driveshafts? When I take off or change gears sometimes there is a clunk sound that seems to be coming from the front.

I haven't had too much experience with front wheel drive cars but I know when this sound (the same sound but only from the rear) appears on a rear wheel drive car it usually indicates that its the universal joints.

Is this the same as the driveshafts?

thanks mrr

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Check the engine mounts regarding the clunk noise.

Also mabye drain your gearbox oil and re-seat the CV's in the gearbox end.

"whoop whoop whoop" noises can also be hub bearings So check them out as well.

Thats all i know on that matter, other than the constant "whoop whoop whoop" noises of an airraid siren from a daggy WW2 movie.

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
I have just replaced two engine mounts and the other two seemed to be ok.

Do you think that the drive shafts may not be correctly positiond into the gearbox? Have you had this problem before and is this a common thing to look out for?

Back