K10 Auto choke, what / how to check/test ?

P

penny11

Hello, I am new to the MSC, so please be gentle with me .... :)

I have a J Plate K10 that is becoming increasingly difficult to start when cold or damp..... It 'seems' to be the automatic choke, but I do not know how to diagnose the problem? :-(

Can someone tell me how to check to see if the auto choke is doing what it is supposed to do, and what to look for, or expect to see, please?

I have looked at the Haynes, but it is not clear (literally) what happenes when the car is started when cold, or what to check.....

Regards , Penny

ps I have checked the auto choke relay, OK, and Searched this forum already.....:)

has the season setting been changed? as this might be wots wrong if its been cold where u are it should be set for winter or whatever it is. there is a thread around somewhere about it

auto choke problems

Thanks, the winter/summer setting is on the 'snorkel' of the air filter, it is a flap that pulls air in from around the exhaust manifold or 'fresh' air...however this is not the problem..... Does anyone know what the choke actually 'does' when it is operating, or how to test it's action .....?

Thanks again

Winter/summer will make no difference as the air is cold regardless of setting when you start the car

Starting problems could be the autochoke doesnt engage on the carb, or your HT leads are old/rubbish and need replacing! Take the air filter off and have a butchers inside the carb, to see if the autochoke is open/closed or functioning correctly.

Obviously, it could be a number of other reasons, but ive had two starting problems with my car and the above were the problems.

mine is on its way too...

leave the car to get cold (first thing in the morning is best) and don't touch the accellorator peddle.

Don't start the engine

carefully remove the air filter housing cover.

Look down into the carburettor venturi.
the highest flap visible is the choke flap.
The choke flap will be open/partially open

press the accellorator peddle all the way down and slowly release the accellorator peddle back to the top and then take your foot away. (this is how you set a working semi-automatic choke)

look into the carb again. The choke flap (if working properly should now be pretty much closed (there will be a tichy gap) the choke is now on.

fit the filter cover again and start the engine.
Run the engine for 10 minutes then switch off.
Take the cover off again and the choke flap should have opened up again.

if yours does all of this then its working fine.
-------------------------------------
I have to rattle the throttle om mine for it to set, Sometimes it just wont set untill it has been revved a little:-(

you say damp? if so spray wd40 over all of the ht leads and distributor cap and then try to start it, if it starts better then new ht leads and dissy cap and rotor arm are recommended

Sammo, that is execllent, thanks. Just what i was looking for ...

Regards, Penny

auto-choke problems solved ... :)

Just a foot note to the above .... Following Sammos advice, I examined the choke, it wasnt doing what it was supposed to, so i took the cover off the heater-spring, reset the two levers and reversed the "stop plate"? to be the correct way, lubed the linkages, reassembled carefully and hey presto....
all good!

thanks again :love:

come and check mine! my problem was choke staying on for ages, fast timeover for miles! took cover off etc but no idea where one lever should be? did hear "set at 2 notches" but 2 notches from which "end"? if anyone can help, diagram etc email me at [email protected]. thanks

Back