Do I buy another Micra or swap the engine?

k11_whore

Steve :)
Well I think I have the time chain problem, making a horrible noise when cold and warmed up it goes little bit quieter but the rattle is unbearable, timing chain renewed going to cost 500+ roughly, would I be better off buying another Micra with mot or find a facelift 1.3 engine and drop her in? Straight swap I believe from what iv read on here, but would the wiring loom need changing as mine is Nats and the donor engine non Nats? Trying to use the budget I would of used putting new timing chain on would it be worthwhile? Il post a video up tomorow of the noise and hopefully have a second opinion of the noise I hear.

the coilpack engine is very different to the 1.3,s, you would need a 1.4 or else a 1,3 short block.
best to check if its only the top chain first (like on my old super s, that one is easy to do)

you cant really tell from a vid tbh, lifting the cam cover to check the chain is only a 10 minute
job :)

my super s had 1 link that was holding on by a thread and about to let go :eek:
just lift the lid and turn the engine to check the links and check the slack

Well got it off and the chain looks good no signs of wear :/ just thinking its a long shot but could it be the oil? ie too thin? It has had recent oil change, I used castrol magnatec 10w40 part synthetic

I'm now starting to think its the oil
Being to thin, it's only started since the oil change anymore help at all if it could be?

I don't know what oil was in before, couple months back did oil change to castrol magnatec 10w40 part synth and think that's when noise started, I'm on 68k so what should I use?

it sounds pretty normal to me, best get a 2nd opinion from a couple of local mechanics (who can listen to it properly)

whats the mileage of your car? could be worth banging a forte engine flush in there than changing it again

Engine flushes can do much more harm than good, loosening bits that could then block oil galleries.

Easiest flush is run some cheap oil for 500 miles or some then drain that and refill with a decent oil.

-Phone-

Well been to few garages and they seem to think noisy tappets, I asked them what would solve it but wouldn't tell me as they want the job I'm guessing, could it be due to thinner oil then?

It probably is my paranoia lol when one things fixed and stopped making noise I probably just notice other ones now I dont worry bout old noise :p

Back