Demisting

Hi guys,
The heated rear window in our K12 doesn't do a good job of demisting in bad weather. Has anyone got an aftermarket solution ?

Thanks

You might have a lot of moisture inside of your vehicle, due temperature changes and if you mainly drive short distances...

Old school solution, fan with or without heating element, these will circulate warm air inside of the vehicle, helping oem demisting to do the job?! I used a similar fan on my Datsun 150Y, back in my youth.

Another really old school solution to get rid of moisture build up inside of vehicles is to use DRY newspapers on floors and trunk/boot.
Paper will wic the moisture. When newspaper ripped (not cut with knife/scissors) as in the picture, it will increase the wicking surface.
Put it under the floor mats of the vehicle in the evening and you can return moist paper to the recycle bin in the morning.
Repeat a few times, easy, environmentally safe/it's free! ;)

This is what we have been doing here in the Land of the Finns for generations.
In winter sleet/snow melts from the shoes => water/moisture on floors => 'foggy' windows!

15107003.jpg

=> 5V USB Car Air Vent Clip Fan 3-Speed 7-Blade LED Backlit for 12V 24V Vehicle
s-l1600.jpg

12V/24V Car Windshield Heating Cooling Fan Quick Heater Defroster Demister

s-l1600.jpg

261122 15:04 12

Last edited:
Thanks.
Since I posted this I have bought some Rain X from Halfords and have applied this to the windows. But I do like the newspaper idea. I think I'll see how a combination of those two goes and if necessary try one of these heater / demisters.

Is the mist inside or outside, I understood inside...?!:unsure:
My limited understanding is that Rain X and similar products are applied to outside of windows, in order to 'help' windscreen wipers.
Mist on outside during bad weather might be road mist, that vehicles on the roads lift to air. Due shaping of Micra's rear end turbulence 'glues' it to the rear window. I use the rear window wiper on those occasions...!;)

Last edited:
I have the same problem and for me what has worked in the past is cat litter inside a couple of old socks they must not have holes in them or the cat litter falls out.
This is a good option for obsorbing moisture from in the cabin it lasted a whole year and isn't too much trouble to make.
I usually pop it on the dash at night. Ready to make a new one as each night when I return the whole car was misted last week.
Tonight the front screen is misted so it needs doing tonight.

The other thing that helps is avoid liquids in the cabin bottles cannot hold liquids 100% and this tiny amount of loss can cause mist.

I have the same problem and for me what has worked in the past is cat litter inside a couple of old socks they must not have holes in them or the cat litter falls out.
This is a good option for obsorbing moisture from in the cabin it lasted a whole year and isn't too much trouble to make.
I usually pop it on the dash at night. Ready to make a new one as each night when I return the whole car was misted last week.
Tonight the front screen is misted so it needs doing tonight.

The other thing that helps is avoid liquids in the cabin bottles cannot hold liquids 100% and this tiny amount of loss can cause mist.
I would never have thought of that.

I just re done mine now cause I'm facing west (due to working on rear) The best way is to face ur car into the sun rise this helps as well because the sun can do some of the work for you when the screen freezes might also help with misting.
It hasn't frozen yet this year that I've seen tho.

I just re done mine now cause I'm facing west (due to working on rear) The best way is to face ur car into the sun rise this helps as well because the sun can do some of the work for you when the screen freezes might also help with misting.
It hasn't frozen yet this year that I've seen tho.
No we've not had a frost yet. Need one soon for my Xmas parsnips !! The Micra actually belongs to my daughter. I've bought a half cover for the frosty days. Hopefully that'll save a fair amount of time on cold mornings.

Even moderate amounts of snow bring our country to a virtual standstill. We are just not geared up for it. I guess it's difficult to justify given the number of times we see snow.

Even moderate amounts of snow bring our country to a virtual standstill. We are just not geared up for it. I guess it's difficult to justify given the number of times we see snow.
I have visited the UK several times. I'm aware of the weather situation in your country.
Just wanted to tell you how we Finns handle the cold season!

Back