Dead Micra, help!!!

T

TJ_1984

Afternoon all, my baby has died!!! When I pop the key in and turn it to just before start the Dash does nothing! No lights come on (Airbag, Battery etc...) On fully turning the key the engine turns over but does not start :eek:(

Definately not battery issues as the battery has been checked and rechecked, not a fuse to the dash. I was considering either NAT's is dead (but why the dash cut out?) or the Ignition barrel being dead? Just to let you know the dash still lights up when you pop the lights on but the icon lights (airbag, etc) still do not turn on.

Help!! It's with a garage at the moment but I doubt they are going to be able to fix it!

If it was a Nats problem, the lights will still come on, and the engine will make noises but not start!!!

If battery and fuses are fine then i would check the ignition barrel for any loose wires!!!

Re

The interesting thing is that using a new key doesn't always make the car fire. So sometimes it's completely dead and sometimes it turns over. using the old back up key (original) it turns every time. Thats the only reason I thought it could be the NATS

I know... check the fuses next to your battery... I had the same problem! The contacts corrode easily! Give it a go... let me know how you get on!

Still waiting for the garage to let me know what the problem is, he's rather over run :(

From what I can work out the new key seems to be slightly different as when I open the boot I can't put it all the way in or it won't turn... That's probably why the old key turns the engine every time.

Wish I had tried pulling on the key gently when turning the ignition to see if it was the barrel! When we were in the car park I was pushing my fingers where the sun doesn't shine on my poor baby and knocking the ignition wires which seemed to cause the car to start then die immediately.....

Still think this is the barrel?

there is a plug on the back of the ignition barrel, if that is slightly loose then it could be a problem.

take the surround off the steering wheel and check the wires...

hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than a dead micra :(

NeX said:
there is a plug on the back of the ignition barrel, if that is slightly loose then it could be a problem.

take the surround off the steering wheel and check the wires...

hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than a dead micra :(

What about 2 dead micra's?

It's alive!

She alive! The garage fixed her up, good as new. The problem was
She had fused her ignition switch so after getting the new part in quickly I had her back jsut in time for my holiday! As she's been through so much I think I'll treat her to some work on her!

JamieGti said:
I know... check the fuses next to your battery... I had the same problem! The contacts corrode easily! Give it a go... let me know how you get on!

Haha, I told you!
Don't listen to the newbie, eh? :(

-J"That'll teach you"Gti

Just to let everyone know lol, I let the garage know what everyone thought on this site and he was greatful because he wasn't to sure to start with! He said it was nice to actually have some good places to start rather than faffing around wasting my money!

Back