Dead dead dead

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
My micra lol driving up to consett tonight lights were dimming then radio went off, car started to hic kangaroo petrol ...........argh switched lights off and it picked up so started to drive it home then it just died a death.......no power in battery so me thinks alternater has packed up and not been charging....so i came in about an hour ago changed it over alternater that is and forgot to put battery on charge before i went back out so left that on trickle charge until the morning................if anyone has any other ideas im open for suggestions but im betting on it been what ive done....(Y)

you usually get the chargelight come on if the alternator packs up eh ken :eek:, but as long as the new one is showing about 14v, it should be ok :)

didnt get any warning light come on mind you the looms are from a 1993 micra so who knows maybe the battery wasnt exepting charge. But then ive left it on trickle charge all night put it back on and it started straight up, I cant find my smiths volt meter at the moment so ive no idea if replacment alternater is doing its job so i will have to have a good hunt for it. Just seems strange for a battery to lose all power in theory even with a flat battery and you bump it the alternater is more than enough to see you home without the grief i had last night, which makes me think that the alternater was at fault, what I should have done to test it was get it started with a new battery and removed the live off battery if alternater was ok car would still run didnt think of that last night as i was tired lol...

could it not be that there isnt a bulb in the back of the clocks to illuminate it? ive noticed a cupple of times bulbs to be missing

said that above mate....lol sorted now new alterater on battery trickle charged and tested with multi meter all is good, bulb must be missing as there was no warning light so will sort that one out as well when i get time to that is.....there was a lot of melted plastic around old alternater so looks like its been on its way out for a while just not noticed it as i only do short trips.....

Back