de-tuning. How hard?

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Hate to sound like an old fart but with both of us working and a mortgage to pay reliability in our cars is a higher priority for us then fun.
So once the red car is up and running again we think we might go back to stock and remove the turbo.

So what would be needed? I have spare standard exhaust manifolds and airboxs, I know I'd need to go to an exhaust place to get an engine pipe made up but what else?

Car runs a Haltech which fires a fifth injector when at certain revs/boost, would I need to disable this or is it ok to leave it connected?

What else would I need to do? I have started the engine without the turbo hooked up to the intake and it seems to run fine so I though it might not be a big job or am I missing something important?

Mychael

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
You should be able to leave the haltech in there without any issues - the injector only kicks in when it detects boost over a certain level so since it'll always be in vacuum when under load if N/A (someone correct me if i'm wrong here) then it'll never need the extra fuel. That said, even if it did kick in it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Did you determine if it had a BHG? When you say an "engine pipe", what exactly do you mean? The front part of the exhaust after the manifold and first cat?

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your other post before I wrote the question ;)

---dens

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Well it is just only a little over 4psi now... I mean really up until this point we have had a great run from the car..Never a days trouble but if you take it in the context that it has only done 150,000 and my other 330,000 well then it does not look so good.
Fuel consumption is not really all that bad now.

We just need a totally reliable long life car like my green one..We never plan on getting rid of the Micras.

And, yes,between manifold and cat.
Mychael

smidge

» CMF Member
a turbo car is more efficient than an NA car running the same power... (kinda..)

keep it and control how much fuel you use with your right foot, otherwise i'd be swapping someone for a stocky, i'm sure there's plenty of people out there happy to take a useable and working turbo setup (or swap the whole car!)

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
nah, car is very clean with low miles on it.. Already said fuel consumption was not an issue, not a lot worse then standard car.
I reckon I've got more then enough parts to get it back to stock but just need to know about a couple of things.

Mike

smidge

» CMF Member
ouch, back to stock from turbo is a bit of a shame... surely someone here would be happy for a day on the tools to swap some bits?

Back