De-cat v Manifold

I am looking into buying a Janspeed de-cat at the moment for my K11 1.0i. However, I am wondering if the Janspeed manifold would be worth the extra outlay instead. I can't really afford both at the moment, and the de-cat looks a lot easier to fit, not to mention being a lot cheaper. So what sort of gains could I expect from a) the de-cat and b) the manifold? I am not expecting much but every little helps, and if the manifold will do a lot more for performance than the de-cat then I will probably get that. Also, how easy is it to fit the Janspeed manifold? Any advice much appreciated, as ever.

the decat works a lot better on turbo cars so ive herd and wouldnt be very noticable on a small engined car compared to a manifold.
i would go for the manifold on small engined cars as you will get a lot noticeable power.

still all depends on money, i wouldnt buy a decat until i had a manifold and a performance exhaust on. all of them work together to get more power.

get a manifold - much better gains... keep the cat otherwise your car will sound raspy as ######y - unless you get a full exhaust made and baffeled up to lessen the raspy exhaust note

I dont know what any of it means all i know is the car has:
janspeed 4-2-1 manifold
janspeed de-cat silencer
janspeed cat back system

lol im such a girl

SplanK said:
get a manifold - much better gains... keep the cat otherwise your car will sound raspy as ######y - unless you get a full exhaust made and baffeled up to lessen the raspy exhaust note

Got to agree here, my March comes without the 2nd cat and its a lot raspier than micras with a 2nd cat, but I do feel that it's a bit quicker on acceleration than other 1.3s that I've tried.

well i have a hotshots 4-2-1 manifold with full custom build Apexi exhaust system with de-cat and its reaspy - thankfully its not to much and is just the right amount (also known as a Jap Rasp lol) but sounds REALLY nice when you boot it and it gets above 4k..

When I was at JAE, im sorry to say but there were a few micras racing it up and down near to us that sounded like a wet fart and the exhaust was all rasp and no deep engine note!

Go for manifold first then go and get a full exhaust made up and get them to make a de-cat pipe to go in place of the cat and get them to tune the tone of the exaust

yeah a de-cat would make some difference, but a manifold is the best gain you can get for the exhaust :)

youll have heard mine driving about:p it sounds crap on anything other than idle or full throttle...

as for the manifold V's Decat manfiold will gove you the biggest power increase the manifold adds rasp even with baffels ect its still there most cars with manifolds do it i personally love the sound..

Cheers, but I would rather have a new one on the car - nothing personal, but I like having a company I can go and rant at if anything is below par. Thanks for the offer tho.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom - it looks like I am gonna go for the manifold instead of the de-cat. Anybody know how easy it is to fit?

LoL not only is my version cheaper its probably better for performance as well. Custom made from a professional exhaust manufactuer, and I KNOW for a fact there is nothing wrong with it, if there was i would not sell it.

Back