Manifold bolt sizes?

I am anticipating having to hack off a few bolts when I fit the Janspeed next week, so would like to order a few new ones in advance. Does anybody know what size/type of bolt I will need? Are they special ones or just ordinary bolts? I assume that the bolts are different sizes where the manifold attaches to the head compared to where it attaches to the cat? Sizes would be a great help, as I don't have access to the car at the moment.

Any help much appreciated. JA

are you talking about the bolts or the nuts?? because u cant just hack off the bolts or your not gettin any manifold on :p im unsure about the sizes though, all i know is it takes a size 12 spanner :)

Well, I think the bolts on the cat-end of the standard manifold are fairly well rusted, so I am guessing I am going to have to cut through them to get the manifold seperate from the cat. I am not planning on putting the heatshield back on, so I was just going to cut those off. As for the nuts holding the manifold on to the head, these are the ones I am unsure about. What do I do if these refuse to budge and the usual (WD, heating) doesn't work? Will I have to drill them? This is what I am worried about, hence wanting to pre-order some replacements nuts and bolts (apologies, should have been clearer).

OK, cool. From memory those ones didn't look too bad: we tried to take the heatshield off for a better look but those two bolts/nuts holding the heatshield on wouldn't budge. I have just ordered the manifold, can't wait to get it on and take her out for a spin :)

i had to use mole-grips on the heat shield bolts. the manifold to head studs and nuts should come off easily as they turn into bolts if rusted bad.
i had to angle gring the cat bolts off, then i drilled the cat out and used 10mm bolts and nuts to secure it.
the bolts with springs on (front cat to front/down pipe) may be ok, but i snapped mine taking then off, but i had a spare standard manifold so it didn't matter to me.

go to nissan and buy replacements as it will be alot easier in the long run if you ever need to remove the manifold in the future. They shouldn't cost that much

go to nissan and buy replacements as it will be alot easier in the long run if you ever need to remove the manifold in the future. They shouldn't cost that much

i agree with going to nissan to buy them, but i'd ckeck the condition of the old ones first.

nuts for manifold to head, will remove with heat and wd40 so long as theyve got some corners left to grip on to, it'll take a while as you'll need to get the nut glowing bright red. This is if they dont budge like mine, everyone ive tried in the scrap yard has unscrewed dead easily.

i bought this can of stuff that freezes the bolt and loosens it, removes the rust so it comes off real easy :) one problem is that an actual bolt snapped in the head so air is blowing where it shouldnt be :(

Thanks for the help guys, don't suppose you can remember what that stuff is called can you? I ordered a new gasket today as well, as the old one is likely to be a bit tired.

bolt sizes

I am anticipating having to hack off a few bolts when I fit the Janspeed next week, so would like to order a few new ones in advance. Does anybody know what size/type of bolt I will need? Are they special ones or just ordinary bolts? I assume that the bolts are different sizes where the manifold attaches to the head compared to where it attaches to the cat? Sizes would be a great help, as I don't have access to the car at the moment.

Any help much appreciated. JA
as a rule manifold nuts/bolts are usually 13mm 8.8 hardened you don't need to get any special ones as long as they are minimum 8.8 hardened any good fixing supplier will know what 8.8 means the thread is metric off hand can't remember the thread gap but take one along the fixing supplier will match them. If you go to Nissan you're going to pay loads if you go to the fixing supplier you're going to pay pennies per nut.

Charlotte

as a rule manifold nuts/bolts are usually 13mm 8.8 hardened you don't need to get any special ones as long as they are minimum 8.8 hardened any good fixing supplier will know what 8.8 means the thread is metric off hand can't remember the thread gap but take one along the fixing supplier will match them. If you go to Nissan you're going to pay loads if you go to the fixing supplier you're going to pay pennies per nut.

Charlotte

M8 is the size, the measured diametre of the thread is 8mm. Unless its a jap import in which case itll have a jap thread, which has a fine thread compared to the metric but not sure about size.

The thread size will be 8mm so the bolt size will be 13mm.

Charlotte

fixing suppliers will work with the thread size, the size of the head is of no relevance what so ever, nissan 8mm thread bolts have 12mm heads. and the manifold uses studs not bolts, 8X1.25mm iirc (but maybe 8x1.5mm, so don't quote me on that lol), if you get them from nissan they won't be expensive, but they'll be right for your car..

Back