Dashboard malfunction

I have a 2012 micra K13 with 45000Km on the clock. Yesterday while driving home and hitting a pot hole, the dash just lit up like a Christmas tree. Both esp lights, handbrake, abs and PS lights. The taco and speedo works intermittently. The car drives fine with no noticeable difference in drive or performance. I connected an odb2 reader on it and its spitting out U1000/1001 which suggests a CAN error. When reading the modules it doesn't detect the instrument cluster so im suspecting its shat itself . Has anyone else had this or similar issues. I have checked all grounding and also tested the can bus for shorts and disconnects. I have ordered a second hand dash out of France which was cheap enough compared to the 650 euro they wanted to charge for a new one. At this point its process of elimination I guess. hoping someone could shed some light on it.

IMG_1810.PNG

Hi, it is possible that hitting the pot hole has damaged or dislodged a wheel speed sensor, as these cars use the wheel speed sensors for ABS, ESP and speedometer, as well as having speed sensitive power steering. That is why when I changed my clutch and cycled through all gears on a lift, I had the same lights come up, as my rear wheels were not spinning, so the ECU thought the sensors had failed.

If the cluster was broken, I would expect the trip computer to be the first part to struggle, as this is the most complex part and a bad earth is typically what causes an instrument cluster to fail.

I have no idea how any of this could link to the CAN error codes, as these seem to indicate that the ECU may have lost connection to the ABS and/or BCM units. It could be that this is the real problem and it just has similar symptoms to a wheel speed sensor issue.

Nismo, thanks for the reply.. I'll get some new sensors on Monday to replace and see if that helps. I hope its as easy as that. ive checked all the earths and 0-2 ohm resistance so it all seems good. would the lights come on even at a stand still? and 2 or 4 sensors I need

If it is the wheel speed sensors, once the system has sensed an issue, the lights will stay on until it detects a normal signal (after changing my clutch, my lights all went out after driving about 100 metres)

It's difficult to tell what sensors you will need, as it's likely that only one has failed, but without Nissan-specific code readers, there is no way to tell which sensor is causing the error as far as I'm aware.

Todays update. I found my Carista adapter and used this for more accurate information and the following codes have also popped up. U0155 TCM has lost communication with instrument cluster (possible cause faulty instrument panel) and P1720 which points to revolution sensor issue. I checked the live data of the wheel sensors and while they are out if I drive at a steady speed they are all within 2-4 rpm from each other. hopefully im on the right track with the instrument cluster having an issue and if things still persist ill go down the wheel sensor path.

I received my new/used instrument cluster and even though when I purchased it it said manual. I can confirm that it works on an auto swell. the dash was faulty as everything is working perfectly now. the only thing to do is work out which IC holds the km as I would like to have my km back even though I am 30,000km less on the new cluster. If anyone knows which IC holds the odometer reading would be gratefully appreciated.

Back