Dashboard clock backlight fix...

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Just asking if anyone has had success in diagnosing/fixing the issue where the cluster clock does not illuminate with the rest of the instrumentation. My micra (SuperS '95), my dad's old micra (SLX '95) and his new one (SLX '97) all don't illuminate, but their ment too.

thanks,

Alex

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Alex,

Mine also didn't work for a year or so until I drove though some roadworks... The rough road must have shaken the bulb and/or a connection back into place. It suddenly just started working again and has always worked fine for me ever since.... :)

Sorry I am not able to share any useful advice !. You might have to dismantle the gauge shroud to check the bulb ?.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
so i should go through some roadworks like matty boy would then, :p with all the crazy driving i've been doing the last few weeks with the whitline gear on i don't that'll do anything much, so yeah thanks for arrr, ahem, nothing :p. btw we still on for the meet next weekend? or when is it?

take care,

Alex

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
whats this, "like matty "boy" would then" huh?
hmmm mine works, always has:p eM's doesn't and i checked the bulb and swapped it with every other one in the cluster and still no luck:(
so i don't know either.

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Clock backlighting comes from the dash lights so your globe has blown or come loose. AutoPro stocks replacements, I replaced one globe and now my clock globe is gone [good thing I had bought 3 globes :) ]
There is a blue plastic sleeve which is rolled over the globe like a mini "rubber" to give it the blue colour so don't chuck it out!
Access is by removing steering column cover (screws under) and then the dash cover screws, globes are in bayonet holders which turn 1/4 to release. I'm off to do mine now. cheers LWC

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
thanks LWC, checked it out today and yep bulb is blown, tried another bulb and i saw the light, lol. but autopro don't have anything that will fit, could you get me the part number off your receipt mate?

or did you modify the new bulb to fit? as nissan want $10ea and have to backorder - 2wks,

Alex

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
$10 each is ridiculous - find a wrecker with a K11 and borrow a few bulbs from there!

Better still, can someone please post up a picture of the bulb and thingy it plugs into which screws into the cluster.

I'll go hunting the wreckers and find a car which uses the same bulbs. :)

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
here some pics then, i checked n14 pulsars they use 14v bulbs the micra ones are > 12v 1.2w blulbs,

the trick it they way they twist-lock in,

Alex

Attachments

• 1346.jpg
    1346.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 26

mik

» CMF Member
Hey you could buy a LED and a resistor, and solder it in. I've done this, with blue leds, and it's working really fine. there are also white leds on the marked, if you don't want colored ones. if you like i could show you how to solder it in, and make some pictures.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
That looks like the same jobs in the N14 pulsars....

Hey here's a crazy idea - Pull the globe from the little socket.

Try it. ;)

But do NOT loose than little blue condom thing because that softens the normally yellow light to make it more white mmkay...

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
into the old socket you mean? i'd love to give it a go as long as i can still remove it like a normal bulb, please do take piccies or maybe a drawing and bulb + resister specs req,

thanks,

also i just looked up the n14 pulsar again and its got the same part number #24860PA but lised as 14V-2WL, whereas the micra one is also #24860PA but listed as 12V-1.2W Blue,

just realised i asked for #24860PC which is the same (12v -1.2W) but with an orange cap - that was the $10 one needing B/O, might ring em saying its for a pulsar tomorrow with the number #24860PA, :p

Alex

mik

» CMF Member
Alex i've found a picture how it has to be done.
its easy, i will take detailed pics later, if you like.
but i guess you get it :)

Attachments

• 1354.jpg
    1354.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 25

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
great, thanks for the promtness > the extra length dosn't foul on anything? pls let me know what spec led and resister did you use, i was thinking of going red led adn my mp3/cd player is red adn blue, red is abit more different? would love to have white faced guages and red leds, drooooooool :p

Alex

mik

» CMF Member
-LED Specs-

Wavelength: 470nm
Lenstype: diffuse
Size: 5 mm
Intensity: 800 mcd
Forward Voltage: 3,6V @ 20mA
Selection: diffuse F

As Resistors i have to look how big they are :)

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
With the LED's, you will probably have to find a concave topped LED which will spread light more effectively.

With that type of LED you have in the picture there mik, the cluster will have bright spots or hot spots whatever you want to call them.

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Bought some globes this morning from Autopro Belconnen ACT.
Brand: Narva
Part no: 47286
Cost: $1 each
Rating: 12v 1.2w
If you do the LED conversion, the bayonet holder will only work in one of the two positions due to the LED polarity, globes are not polarised and can be inserted either way into the holder and the dash. LWC

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
thanks for the help, got me a twopack of bulbs from supercheap on the way home from work last friday, and they work a treat, mnust be careful with that blue sleeve, cause its easy to tear with your fingernails. Will see how obtaining white faced gauges goes and may dive into led's but thinking of taking the easy way out and just painting the surround white instead:p

Alex

Back