Damn the 'New Drivers Act'

M

Mulbers

As from the 14th of Jan I will no longer have a licence. I got done speeding twice within two days of each other, so I now have six points on my licence. Got my letter through from the DVLA yesterday. I bet they love doing that.

Which is a bugger. Need my car for work quite a bit. Luckily they are ok with it. Just take the mick all the time now. I will be booking my theory tomorrow and see how it goes from there. Should be fun.

Just wanted to vent my frustration a bit.

Anyone on here been done by this?

Bit strange really. Can be a little harsh, but I know that if I got caught speeding I would make sure that I wouldn't get caught a second time. Especially if it was needed for work

Sorry to sound unsympathetic but at the end of the day, you dont have to speed... therefore its your fault you're now without a licence

Harsh mate, it sucks sooo much,

i just posted off my driving licence today to get my first 3 points on it grr

35 in a 30 on christmas day!!! just cos i was concentrating on the GPS instead of the speed and i think my speedo is out slightly....

but if i get done again then i'm in the same position as you... did your insurance go up?

how can you get your licence back?

I got 3 points within 2 weeks of passing, almost 3 years on only been pulled over twice, once a year ago for random breathaliser and another for a bulb. I find i've really slowed down over the past year, not bothered about speed or anything.

yet another case for us older members to quietly smile knowing that this can't happen to us (ba-humbug) god I wish I was young again NOT.. lol

Drive safe and don't go screamin around your local Tesco/Asda carpark!
(this is my own pet hate.....sowy)

Yorkie

NeX said:
Harsh mate, it sucks sooo much,

i just posted off my driving licence today to get my first 3 points on it grr

35 in a 30 on christmas day!!! just cos i was concentrating on the GPS instead of the speed and i think my speedo is out slightly....

but if i get done again then i'm in the same position as you... did your insurance go up?

how can you get your licence back?

You get done by a camera or a van? If it was a van, that is pretty harsh. I am very paranoid of the New Drivers act, and panic if I slip even a couple of mph over the limit. I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those annoying drivers that stayed glued to the limit until my 2 years is up.

When in my Micra, I used to drive around reasonably sensibly most of the time... but never stuck to the limit - followed the flow of the rest of the traffic.

Since I've had my Celica, as it's a jap import... it has stickers stuck over the speedo to say where 30, 50 and 70mph is. I don't think these are right... but ALWAYS make sure that it says around 20mph when going past speed camera's.

At the end of the day, I would rather annoy drivers behind me for dropping speed... than get points.

And another thing... I now stick to the limit within 3 mph, as I don't care about other drivers getting annoyed. I know I am driving a great looking car, and don't need to drive at speed to look good.

The main thing is, set out with plenty enough time... and you won't need to get caught. ;)

Then again, I'm hardly a new driver... ARGH........I'M GETTING OLD!! :)

-Elliot

Rules are set 10% of the speed limit + 2..

So

30 Zone is 33 (10%) + 2 = 35mph before camera flashes.
40 Zone is 44 (10%) + 2 = 46mph before camera flashes.
50 Zone is 44 (10%) + 2 = 57mph before camera flashes.
60 Zone is 44 (10%) + 2 = 68mph before camera flashes.
70 Zone is 44 (10%) + 2 = 79mph before camera flashes.

Then again if its a 30 zone why go faster than it? The range of Camera Flashes is set to account for the fact that some cars speedometers are out by 2-4mph.

Get a GPS Speed Camera System eg Road Angel or Roadpilot (Which i got - very recommended) which can tell you where all speed cameras are and alert you of a LAZER nearby too.

but end of the day you were speeding and unlucky to get caught. Should of learnt the first time.

rallybunny said:
You get done by a camera or a van? If it was a van, that is pretty harsh. I am very paranoid of the New Drivers act, and panic if I slip even a couple of mph over the limit. I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those annoying drivers that stayed glued to the limit until my 2 years is up.

i'm not sure, but i got to look at the pics on the net and there were two, one of the car and one close up of the number plate...

but yea i can see the cops by the side of the road on christmas day, in the cold with speed guns in their hands and santa hats on lol merry ******* christmas :)

i didn't even realise i'd been caught i only found out a few weeks later.

Arnold said:
Sorry to sound unsympathetic but at the end of the day, you dont have to speed... therefore its your fault you're now without a licence

You cant argue with that, speeding is a crime...and its not cleaver...

i agree if you choose to speed you should accept responsibilty, however the police are being unrealistic now. I was cautioned for driving at 40 in a 30 (even though my speedo was reading 50). It was literally just coming out of a national limit, still on a country road but the 30 signs were a good few yards before the village, and a policeman was waiting around a corner (before the built up bit). I thought it was plain cheek, if i was given a ticket for that i would have been the first male to have a period

rallybunny said:
Yeah, I know the feeling, however as of the 8th January this year I had been driving for 2 years (without any points i might add). So I now have a 12 point threshold! :)

(Not that I plan to use it of course, just such a relief now).

Horrible law that new drivers act. People say theres no excuse for speeding, which is true. But it also means that I'm looking at my speedo almost as much as I'm looking at the road ahead cos I'm that paranoid about getting caught speeding in my first 2 years! Not exactly a positive effect on road safety.

Passed my test in May last year and no points (yet), but it doesn't stop me from worrying :(

I've slowed down alot recently, Finished work at 12am, and found myself driving home at granny pace. I couldnt even force myself to speed up, pretty lucky too as I went past a police landrover, as it was pulling out of a junction.

Particularly at night, I like nothing more than to just go quite slowly, or at least, speed limit. If there's nobody else around hassling you, and when you got some good music on, I find it really relaxing.

Andy_S said:
Rules are set 10% of the speed limit + 2..

So

They ain't rules, they are guidlines, and yes some forces do bring the margin down a bit esp. around roadworks.

Andy_S said:

These are guidelines set down by ACPO, not rules. There is no legal boundary, except that it must be above the set speed limit. I think North Wales has them set at 1mph above the set speed limit. So it's not really a great rule to live by. It also takes into account that your speedo might not be working correctly, and that is is very difficult to read more preciscely that 5mph on it.

And I totally agree with Arnold. Every couple of months someone posts on here about how they can't drive because of speeding and how they are going to lose their job/not be able to go to uni/die of hunger because they can't go shopping. If that really is the case, then you shouldn't speed, the risk for you is far to high, and I think you are stupid for doing it.

Andrew said:
f that really is the case, then you shouldn't speed, the risk for you is far to high, and I think you are stupid for doing it.

Everybody speeds, whether its on occasion or always, i dont think there is one person who can honestly say "ive never broken the speed limit".

If you are an occasional speeder, then your just unlucky to get caught.

I'll always drive at 25mph when passing a speed camera. Even if I am doing the speed limit before reaching it, i'll always drop down abit "just incase"

I know i was in the wrong here. it was just anoying that it happend within two days that was the main point.
i had no idea i had been caught either time. i was not asking for sympathy just wanted peoples views on the act.
there is no point in getting too angry, cant do a whole lot about it.
cycling to work isnt going to be the end of the world, im trying to get fitter at the mo anyway. shouldnt take that long to pass again.i hope. Ya tend to pick up bad habbits after a while.ha ha (speeding!)

it kinda wants to make me go back to the motor bike lol,

the unstopable machine, cheap to run, no traffic, less problems, park anywhere, legally use bus lanes, no front number plate... and i think that some speed cameras can't see bikes cos they are too small...

but cold as ****, even in the summer...

Know what you mean Nex. I'm running a scooter for short journeys around town. Saves money on petrol & parking in the pay and displays, but I'm freezing me nuts off at this time of year! :eek:

Back