whats the law with speeding and young drivers?

B

bal

i was talking to a friend today and he thinks that if you get caught speeding in your first three years of driving then they take your liscence off you

to me this sounds a bit extreme, and my friends are full of #### at the best of times so i dont really beleive him.

is it true?

any thoughts are welcome

you only get a 6 point limit for the first 3 years of driving or is it 2?? so you can only have 2 speeding offences or a speeding offence and a bald tyre ect ect and your license is toast

that sounds more reasonable, i just didnt beleive the "one strike and your out" rule

the above seems about right tought but fair
DONT BE STUPID!

Yeah 6 points in you first two years and you have to do your test again... and its harder second time round supposedly. :)

Put it this way....you jus get on the road and all 4 tyres are a little under the limit and u get pulled over.....Then that's it uve had it :down:

You can only get caught once. The second time is a ban.

yeah then a 14yo can nick a car and get a driving ban for 2 years even tho he wudnt b able to drive anyway as he'd still only be 16... the law is stupid. to be honest i think the police would slap you on the wrist and nothing else for bald tyres unless they were slicks if you seemed geniunely apoligetic and didnt get arsey

rlees85 said:
yeah then a 14yo can nick a car and get a driving ban for 2 years even tho he wudnt b able to drive anyway as he'd still only be 16.

That's something which REALLY pee's me off when i hear that on the news! It's like that's the only punishment given out down here aswell for young offenders!

Anyway, 2 points per tyre does seem harsh, but bad tyres could easily cause accidents or death to drivers so its well worth enforcing.

I read about that, bald tyres, no MOT etc sure get a ban, points and a fine but killing someone once disqualified, I started thinkin if it was my neice, the law had be be protecting him cause they'd need it!

As much as the DVLA annoys me and us all with silly rules and laws but they are there for good reasons but when someone ignores and gets away with it time and time again! simply wrong!

just for anyone who dont understand there is no ban under the new drivers act it is licence revoction by dvla so u have to go back and do a new test the test is no longer or anything the only time its longer is if u are retaking after a normal ban unfortunatly i was silly enough to get caught doing 7 mph over limit and had mine revoked and am now in the process of getting money together to redo my test in the mean time it gives me time to work on the car

Not necesercarily!!

7mph could mean the difference between life n death,

Think about it logically, if you were travelling down a 5 mile road at a constant 30mph and someone ran out in front of u and u hit them they'd be hurt.

If you went down the same 5mile road at 37 mph, and the same person ran out at the exact same time and at the same place then you would have already driven passed them.

:p

ollie240585 said:
Not necesercarily!!

7mph could mean the difference between life n death,

Think about it logically, if you were travelling down a 5 mile road at a constant 30mph and someone ran out in front of u and u hit them they'd be hurt.

If you went down the same 5mile road at 37 mph, and the same person ran out at the exact same time and at the same place then you would have already driven passed them.

:p

Ye, thats makes 100% sense but still not an excuse because the same could be said if you hit them at 37mph then if you had done 30mph they would be other side of road, i'd rather risk hurting someone at 30mph and be ok if police got involved than probably killing someone at 37mph and being bummed by the law for driving too fast!

I am actually a law abiding driver, the only time I will ever speed is on motorways, and then i'll only go up to 80/85.

It is best to stick to the 30's for the reason above and I always do!!! It's just not worth the risk otherwise!!

Totally agree, I'd never lie and say I do the limit all the time, we all risk it but I usually keep it to motorway and roads away from people (East lancs, love it loads :D )

Plus I enjoy driving and listening to my tunes so why rush my journey!

Just passed my test and they gave me a leaflet with all the penalties for various misdemeanors. 3 points for speeding, 3 points per bald tyre, and 6-8 points for having no insurance...so watch out if you are test-driving a car, as unless you have insurance elsewhere, you wont be insured (how the DO NOT SWEAR FILTER EVADE do you get temporary insurance to test drive a banger from the local paper?!). 6 points and they take away your licence and you have to retake the test (advise 8.30am saturday on a sunny day hehe!) and when you get your licence back it still has the 6 points on... So, 2 more speeding tickets and youre banned for a year. Looked at the DVLA website and over 1000 people per month have to retake their test. A moneyspinner, methinks. And I spend a lot of time looking at the speedo when I should be paying more attention to the road! Instead of persecuting new drivers, if the DVLA helped develop an anti-tailgating sensor (not that difficult I'm sure) then that really would improve road safety............

oooh, tailgating really takes the p***, women seem to be the worst! And driving on mobile phones, i mean you risk losing your licence and i still see a ridiculous amount of people doing it, shocking.

Bald tyres can also carry upto £1500 fine, when you think how much they affect the handling, braking and general control of the car it's more than fair...

If you get a 2 year ban at 14 it starts when your eligble for a license ie 17 not 14 so you cant drive until 19 although those stupid enough to drive at 14 will still drive anyway!

Impact at 37 has a much greater chance of seriously injuring someone that at 30, 7 doesnt sound a lot over the limit but if its in a 20 or 30 limit its a fair whack...

Batch said:
oooh, tailgating really takes the p***, women seem to be the worst! And driving on mobile phones, i mean you risk losing your licence and i still see a ridiculous amount of people doing it, shocking.

I cant stand people who drive on mobiles, i'll usually use my hands free kit, or pull up at the side of the road. Van drivers are the worse for using mobiles.

I will use my mobile if stuck in traffic when it's stop start. Otherwise hands free kit all the way!! It's really pointless driving along on your phone, A phone call is not more important than the your life and the lives of other road users!! It really does affect your concentration a considerable amount!!!

someone at my work got caught doing 40 in a 30 zone, got 6 points for that one offence, he'd only been driveing for about 18 months and had to retake his test. so getting caught speeding once can loose you your liscence!!!!

Back