D: drive problem, please read

Hey guys/gals,
Basically I sent my netbook off to repair a broken screen about 2 months ago, when it came back (late) it kept getting blue screen and crashing...which it never did before. So I sent it off again and all they did was wipe the bloody thing (all pictures/music etc.) which I could have done.

For about 2-3 weeks now I keep getting a notification popping up telling my to 'clear disk space', my D drive shows I have 3.66MB left of 41GB which isn't good. I've tried all sorts of cleaning programs which tell me they've cleared so many hundred MB but it still shows 3.66 which is getting frustrating. I've deleted/uninstalled everything I don't use and tried to de-frag but apparently it doesn't want too..

So with that in mind, any of you guys know what's up?

Cheers,
Connor

41Gb is very little storage space, even 'low spec' laptops and computers now'a days have 80-100gig at least!

The problem is notebooks are not for all the stuff you're actually using it for, initially they were for office people, who don't want to carry a heavy laptop, so it has the basic things (email) ( internet ) and usually don't even come with a CD/DVD drive, so basically, if you want my opinion, spend £300 on a new pc, or get a laptop instead of a notebook. only way you're going to sort your storage problem, is by getting more room! :wasntme:

True, I mean I'm surprised I can run things like Photoshop CS3 and Frutiy loops on this. Been thinking about building a pc for a while but buying a car with the money instead :p But anyway, I'm running a full system scan for any virus's as this may be a factor. Thanks for the info man, it didn't even come to mind that netbooks are literally just for the net haha

It could well be something simple. Do you have system restore activated on your PC? This could be saving restore points and taking up a large chunk of memory space. Go to Control Panel>System>System Restore and clear all but the most recent restore points (usually leave 3 months worth, I don't even bother with it on my PC)

Most of the cleaning programs don't work and can infect your PC with spyware/malware so I'd get those uninstalled and deleted ASAP.

Have you gone through the windows disk clean-up option aswell? This can help to clear a chunk of space. Use the add/remove programs system in the control panel and remove anything from the PC that you don't need or don't use. It all adds up!

Hope this helps you out! (Y)

if your runing windows 7 thats 16bg, photoshop cs3 uses 2gb and fruity loops is around 1 gb, all that together is 19gb,nearly half of the hardrive gone so by the time you put the antivirus,spyware and firewall on and a few photos and music, you will be at the 40gb limit easy these days.

swap the hardrive for a bigger one there cheap now for 100gb or more

Back