CV joint gaiter replacement

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
The manual says that you must remove the driveshaft even if only changing the outer CV joing rubber/gaiter. Isn't it possible to remove the CV joint from the shaft without removing the entire driveshaft ?

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
penpusher WROTE:

"The manual says that you must remove the driveshaft even if only changing the outer CV joing rubber/gaiter. Isn't it possible to remove the CV joint from the shaft without removing the entire driveshaft ?

You can remove the outer joint bit of a stuff around and messy

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
I didn't want to remove the whole shaft cause I am worried that when i try and replace it i might damage the oil seal when replacing the shaft as the manual says a special tool is required (which i don't have)

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
penpusher WROTE:

"I didn't want to remove the whole shaft cause I am worried that when i try and replace it i might damage the oil seal when replacing the shaft as the manual says a special tool is required (which i don't have)

What special tool?....if you actually did damage it which is pretty hard/impossible as the drive shaft is in the way as the seal is further in. Use a flat head screw driver and pry it out. Then just tap a new one in.

Quickest way i found to getting shaft out is put it in gear. Remove the other end of the shaft from the hub and just yank it while twisting it in the drive direction and it will come out. If you do have to pry it out you will have a higher chance of damaging the ring grove on the inner shaft if ur not careful.

CMF_1275

» CMF Member
Take the disc and caliper off, cut the old boot off, place mole grips on driveshaft in recess the boot sits in, tap shaft inwards using a bar on the grips to release the shaft from the CV, take bottom strut bolts out, pull shaft free from outer CV, slide new boot on and tap shaft back in CV, slide and fix boot in place, replace strut bolts
:)

Back