Universal Split Driveshaft CV Joint Boot Gaiter Kit

• Thread starter Deleted member 29304
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29304

Hi All,

Has any of you tried one of these split driveshatf CV Joint boot gaiters instead of removing the driveshaft
as these fit into place with you having to remove the driveshaft? I just don't have the torque wrench that goes up to 132 lb's per square inch or the socket for the d/shaft. As it is only £12.00 each i think that a good price!

Yours Peter0003

Dont waste your money load of pants...I am a mechanic by trade trust me it will split in no time at all....use the money towards a new socket to fit....as for a tourque wrench to do a shaft nut up...Never used one in my life and have Rallied Mini's Astra's Seat's all FWD and as long as you do it up really tight it will not fall off !!!...Use a decent Halfinch bar to do it.....try even renting a T wrench form Hss Hire shops if you are worried about it.

Dave

Gluing a split gaiter around a very greasy CV joint is a temporary bodge & a distraction waste of time.

Get a good quality CV boot kit, a 28mm socket (1000cc), a breaker bar & 25mm internal diameter scrapp steel pipe x 700 mm approx length extn lever approx.

Do it right first time, do it once,

Last edited:
You can change the outer CV boot without removing the CV from the upright anyway. Details on the forum somewhere.

Are you on about universal stretch boots? I've one on my passenger side and no problems yet with it. They're hard to put on and you need the special tools and an air compressor

Are you on about universal stretch boots? I've one on my passenger side and no problems yet with it. They're hard to put on and you need the special tools and an air compressor

It's less work to put a proper boot on over a stretch boot given that it is possible to do without removing the outer CV from the hub upright.

I've not seen these open wrap around and seal boots that this thread is about though, it sounds like a total bodge waste of time though.

It's less work to put a proper boot on over a stretch boot given that it is possible to do without removing the outer CV from the hub upright.

I've not seen these open wrap around and seal boots that this thread is about though, it sounds like a total bodge waste of time though.
I didn't actually do that one, I've never changed a boot before even. All I have done was change 2 driveshafts on my other car because both inner and outer cvs had gone and they were about 22 years old at that stage

Whilst I mostly agree with the sentiments above, I have fitted a split boot gaiter on a Mazda to pass a mot, fully intending to do a permanent job when time permitted, that was over 4 years ago and is still going strong. You need to be ultra clean with the joint and follow the instructions carefully, having said that your better off doing it right first time.
Just posted to show that they can be used successfully.

A local garage quoted £116 to replace a shredded original CV boot therefore I did a DIY split glue together CV boot once & it passed MOT and started to weep after two months. Just long enough to sell it on as a good runner with 10 months ticket.Job done.

Temporary bodge to get out of the proverbial sometimes has a use?

Yeh man. .i taped up my head with electrical tape then took it off after the wedding. it was auto divorce due to bald head :)

Yeh man. .i taped up my head with electrical tape then took it off after the wedding. it was auto divorce due to bald head :)
I would like to now is any members who are from london would like to come and meet up in a pub near me?

A local garage quoted £116 to replace a shredded original CV boot therefore I did a DIY split glue together CV boot once & it passed MOT and started to weep after two months. Just long enough to sell it on as a good runner with 10 months ticket.Job done.

Temporary bodge to get out of the proverbial sometimes has a use?

That's insane, you can buy a proper CV splitter tool from Amazon, plus a proper CV boot kit, new fresh gearbox oil and DIY for less.

That's insane, you can buy a proper CV splitter tool from Amazon, plus a proper CV boot kit, new fresh gearbox oil and DIY for less.

Young?
About 12 years ago I waited & watched a mechanic, in a fully equipped workshop, fit a stretch boot in half an hour start to finish on my old K10 for £35 total.

Subsequently some years later unable to take on the DIY job on my ropy old K11, the sticky back plastic split boot glue bodge had its appeal and got me out of the poo. My way of skinning a turd for a profit in that instance.

Last edited:
Back