CV gaiter possible leak - ok to drive the car?

lewic

Ex. Club Member
My new K11 has one CV gaiter with (I think) a leak, as there is a bit of oil on it - got it on my finger as I was checking it out. There didnt appear to be any clonking noises so I think (hope!) the CV joint/driveshaft is ok, so I just knocked the seller down on the price.

Couldnt see /feel a split, but both gaiters (which were replaced in 2003) look smaller and thinner than the ones on the K10, both have small dents in them so I wonder if they were just cheapo ones.

A mechanically minded friend says a split in the CV gaiter is nothing much to worry about, but the Bangernomics site said it was linked to the gearbox and a split can cause the gearbox oil to come out too. I def dont want to knacker this one! Is the car ok to drive like this, or should it go straight to the garage? Was intending getting it checked over but was hoping to postpone the garage trip til next payday...

if the cv boots split, there'll b signs of the thick grease splattered round the area. the joint'll still work but its just gona lose more n more grease during use till the cv starts to fail. can check the cv joints by turning the driveshaft by hand, if there's slack or some loose clicky feel to it then it might be worn. also when drivin at full steer lock, does the cv click.

if its split, I would personally get it replaced as soon as reasonable (preferably the proper one-piece gaiter types instead of the cheapo split ones) and also try to avoid longg miles beforehand.

the cv joints themselves containing grease r isolated from the gearbox oil. gearbox oil won't leak out unless the inner driveshaft (locked in by a c-clip) actually pops out, or if the driveshaft/gearbox seal fails.

the Bangernomics site said it was linked to the gearbox and a split can cause the gearbox oil to come out too....

some cars inner (gearbox side) cv boots use the oil from the box to lubricate the joint, so i can see where they are coming from. but this isn't the case with a micra.
if yours are split, it won't resemble oil, but a thick black/dark green grease. since you say you've checked the boots and they don't seem to be split, i'd say they are ok. maybe they have been replaced and the surrounding areas not cleaned properly.

Thanks - thats clarified things a bit more! I didnt hear any clicky noises on the test drive, but will take a better look later. There wasnt loads of grease, just a small patch, so hopefully it just hasnt been cleaned up.

Only way I found out my CV boot was gone, was when I had a tyre changed, hadn't got bad enough to affect the joint, just a bit of grease on the wheel. I still have a new CV boot floating round from my old K11.....yours for free if you want at, although I don't have the clips to go round it, so you might be better off just buying the whole kit.

Back