CV Joint gaiter

johnsams

MICRAPOWER!
Club Member
the cv joint gaiter is broke on the driver side of my k11,just noticed earlier.
how will this affect the drive of my car and is it urgent to get a new cv joint or just a gaiter replaced?

thanks alot

if youve not got an clicking when driving, you should be fine with just a new cv boot...to save you extra work (cleaning the grease off surrounding areas / possibly replacing the joint due to dirt/grit infiltration etc) id get it replaced as soon as possible.

but in the mean time you shouldnt have any issues with the way the car drives.

You can replace it yourself if youve got the necessary tools, as its not to hard to do...and cv boots are pretty cheap aswell. :)

mines gone on the passenger side. I've since driven it to oxford and back with no probs!! The mechanic who noticed it says it's a common prob and not to worry too much, but get it replaced when you can as it's fail the mot obv!

Haynes says it's a 4 star job, as the drive shaft needs to come off and stuff like that. I didn't read it word for word, but is it really that simple? seeing as they rated it that high?

take wheel off, undo driveshaft nut, undo suspension mounting bolts to move out of way then take old boot off, pack with grease and put newone on. then put back together.

my opinion is the haynes has exaggerated the ratings making them appear harder than they are...especially if you compare the k10 with k11 manual.

K10 Manual complete instructions on the strip down / rebuild of the gearbox.
K11 Manual ...its complicated, take it to nissan. ...pah.

yeah as moddedmicra says, just about that easy...though you'll need a driveshaft nut sized socket, and you wanna undo that before taking off the wheel. ;)

Back