CV boot replacement

B

bad_micra

Help please - I need to replace my CV boot (nearside) but the CV joint is imposible to remove.
I read Sonics guide (thank you for posting this - a great help)
http://www.micra.org.uk/t12952-cv-joint-replacement.html
I followed the instructions until... "Push back the rubber boot on the old joint and remove the joint from the shaft, I found this easiest with the use of a big hammer from the back of the joint until it released". Unfortunately for me no amount of hitting the back of the joint with a hammer made it come off. It felt as if there might be something at the end of the shaft (within the CV joint) preventing it to be removed. Can anyone advise please? It's a Micra GX, 1275cc, R reg. Thanks

There is a irclip on the end of the drive shaft, it does just need a lot of force to get it out, try holding the driveshaft in a vice - but not so tight as to dmage it

Hey Butta and Craig, thanks for your replies and advice. We removed the circlip, popped the drive shaft in a vice and took it in turns to wallop the joint with a BFH for hours last night - decided we were defeated at 2am when it still hadn't budged! Thanks for your thoughts as it's nice to know we hadn't missed anything - think we're going to attack this problem from a different angle and source a second hand drive shaft and replace the lot as think our constant batterings might not have done the CV joint too many favours - means we can investigate further what's going on at the end of that shaft without being too careful since we no longer need it! Have a good day&thanks again.

seems strange it wont budge as most are so easy i did mine without removing the cv joint from the hub. i just undid the 2 bolts on the suspension leg held the drive shaft with one hand and knocked the cv joint off the shaft with the other. you could always buy a strech to fit boot and fit it without removing the joint?

also if you do get a 2nd hand drive shaft make sure its from a 1.3 as its different to the 1.0 one

We found out about the universal stretch cv boots a little too late, and we'd made such a mess of the drive shaft a replacement was necessary, was too late to back track unfortunately!! As you can probably tell our night in the workshop last night was an amusing (/fustrating?!) one. Thanks for the heads up about drive shaft differences for the engine size, ended up with a decent one £25 all in so pretty chuffed, especially since didn;t end up being too much more than the original thought of £13 for 2 cv boots.
If interested i'll post what stopped us getting the joint off if we ever that find out!

Back