CV boot replacement

My car failed the MOT today with a completely split CV boot. I searched the forum for ages and ages to try and find Frank's tip on replacing them with no luck. The hitting the shaft in tip

My mole grips were slipping until I removed the old boot and brake disc (brakes needed doing anyway) then positioning the grips in the boot recess in the driveshaft worked pefectly (Y)

I'm thinking of blunting some nail pliers for pinching up the metal straps, I'm guessing that's all that the proper tool does?

I bought two Blueprint CV boots, annoyingly after just opening the other box, that one has the fold over metal straps in, now I think you need the correct tool to have any chance of getting them tight. Perhaps I'll order two more and see if they have the right straps in, then send two back.

The fold over straps you just nip with some snips, just make sure you don't nip to tight, are preface lift CV boots different to facelift as both of mine seemed much easier than above.
I removed hub bolt and just knocked the CV joint off with a hammer and some patience, removed old boot, replaced.

Both boots are about the same, the earlier 1.0L had smaller CV's. Regarding the straps; the ones with teeth seem better to me, although the N/S has the old fold over straps,no point me replacing that one too, so I have a spare boot now.

Not sure of the method you used, did you remove the whole hub or the whole driveshaft or both? the method I used on Frank's suggestion without doubt means the least dis-assembling of anything.

my car failed it's mot this morning with the near side cv boot deteriorated and the near side suspension arm ball joint dust cover damaged. the front brakes are imbalanced too because it's been sat unused for pretty much 18 months and they're slightly grabbing (you can hear a grinding noise when i'm driving at slow speed.) Is this all something that's easy for an amateur to do? They're asking £120 to do it for it's retest next week.

When i changed my cv joints and boots i just took the drive shafts out the gearbox and did it like that, much easier and my cv boots are just tied on with cable ties, and there still on so its doing the job :)

Just done mine, my cv boot went and was running low on cash for a while so it took its toll on the shaft

Changed the shaft out though, its a nice and easy job that only cost me 18 quid! :)

Cable ties should work, although i always prefer the metal stuff over the plastic.

cheers for the replies, I did a quick look on ebay and the gater is roughly £3-4, not found the dust cover yet. Can anyone explain the process from start to finish of replacing the boot and dust cover please :) Do I need any special tools at all?
Thanks ;)

I'm guessing it's a bit of a bitch to do it myself then! as 95% of the cost is labour.
its not a novice job tezz, the hubnut needs a big breaker bar etc, the box will dump its oil if you pull the shaft out.
i doubt you will find a balljoint rubber (it usually a lower arm replace job if the balljoint rubber is split)

its not a novice job tezz, the hubnut needs a big breaker bar etc, the box will dump its oil if you pull the shaft out.
i doubt you will find a balljoint rubber (it usually a lower arm replace job if the balljoint rubber is split)
ah right ok I'll def leave it to them to sort it in that case. Thanks for your help again Frank.

Tbh not much oil came out of mine but I bunged the box up with rags, but like frank said a breaker bar is needed to get hub off (i can imagine it hard work without one) and when i replaced my lower arms it cost me about £35 - £40 for two. The hard bit wasnt fitting the new ones though it was getting the old ones off, i had to grind both of them off because of all the rust on them. So £120 is quite cheap especially inc. labour

Back