Gearbox and Clutch Issues

Hi,
I have a 2011 K13 Micra. I have an issue where sometimes gears grind when changing. This is mostly noticeable when changing from 4th gear to 5th gear which results in difficulty. The gear won't go in and when it feels like it is going in, I accidentally end up putting it in third. Reverse gear also results in a crunch noise.
The crunch noise isn't so much a full gear grind, it's more like sandpaper rubbing together loudly and there is sometimes a violent jerk from the gear stick. The clutch can be all the way down and it won't make a difference. Any ideas??

Noticed any slipping while under acceleration? If you get a crunch when putting it into reverse then the clutch isn't fully disengaging, could be a clutch cable adjustment is needed or could be that the clutch needs to be replaced.

Another test is to try to change gear while the engine isn't running and see if it's easier to do. If you can shift from 4th to 5th with ease while the engine is off then it would pretty much confirm it

Noticed any slipping while under acceleration? If you get a crunch when putting it into reverse then the clutch isn't fully disengaging, could be a clutch cable adjustment is needed or could be that the clutch needs to be replaced.

Another test is to try to change gear while the engine isn't running and see if it's easier to do. If you can shift from 4th to 5th with ease while the engine is off then it would pretty much confirm it
Thanks for the reply.
There is a significant crunch when going into reverse when the engine is running. When it's off there is still a crunch. And yes, it's easier to shift from 4th to 5th when the engine is off. So do you suggest checking the clutch cable?

Thanks for the reply.
There is a significant crunch when going into reverse when the engine is running. When it's off there is still a crunch. And yes, it's easier to shift from 4th to 5th when the engine is off. So do you suggest checking the clutch cable?
based on what people were telling me when I was troubleshooting my own issue, it sounds like a clutch cable issue

Someone also said that they booked it into the garage for a new clutch and the guy was very honest and only ended up charging him for the clutch cable since that was the only issue

There are a few tests to figure out if the clutch is gone as well. There is a youtube video that shows them, I'll find it and link it in the next post

edit: Q_jwEoTZ__Y

I think it was this one that I was thinking of, but it seems to have disappeared from my favourites list

Last edited: