Cross Member Change - Advice sought Pls

Hi

This is my first post on the forum so be gentle lol.

I am about to start stripping my micra vibe to change out the lower front crossmember.
It would be really good to know what needs to come off in order to change it out.

Do i need to take just the bumper off if i'm just doing the lower cross member?

Also are there any potential problems to look out for?

I have MIG Welder etc.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Paul

yes front end remoaval is needed :)...head lights first, then bumper.

Do the headlights need to come off if i'm just changing out the lower section and not the whole pannel?

Do the headlights need to come off if i'm just changing out the lower section and not the whole pannel?

He he, yep the headlights do need to come off to get the bumper off as i've just done it all.

The grill removal and headlight removal was a royal P.I.T.A. due to the clips and the screws that go in to the plastic headlight surround.

Just gotta get a new cross member now, remove the old one and then weld the new one in to place.

P

got a rusty hole ridden lower front crossmember on my k11, but got through MOT 1month ago. (before i brought) it as no safety issue ???
was on advisory note issued with certificate but not given to me by seller. (lesson learned!!!)

Garage replacing it for £120

got a rusty hole ridden lower front crossmember on my k11, but got through MOT 1month ago. (before i brought) it as no safety issue ???
was on advisory note issued with certificate but not given to me by seller. (lesson learned!!!)

Garage replacing it for £120

not a bad price if that includes a new cross member, just make sure they don't only weld a plate over it as rust will come back.

i've done a few now and it can be time consuming.

Back