Cooling system

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all,

i was wondering if the cooling system can be curculated without using the water pump? for example if i added an inline electric pump on the cooling system would it still get pumped round or would it stop at the mecanical pump?

also i know that the cooling goes to the heater matrix but does it go anywhere else?

is there such a thing as an electrical heater matrix that means i can seal off the cooling system so it just works for the cooling the engine?

thanks people

nex

while the thermostat is closed, the coolant flows through the heater matrix only (and not the rad).
and an electric pump would need to be rated at over 100deg c

nex

while the thermostat is closed, the coolant flows through the heater matrix only (and not the rad).
and an electric pump would need to be rated at over 100deg c

i have found some proper water pumps for this kind of thing, they are about £160,

so the heater matrix is always enabled?

i thought that the temp dial controlled if the air was coming from the heater matrix rad or the cold air from outside and had nothing to do with water flow?

could be wrong mind lol

so is there such a thing as an electric one?

There is a radiator in the interior heating system (hot>cold only closes a flap) as well as the big one on the front.

You can bypass it as well as bypassing the throttlebody coolant thing.

What are all these mysterious posts about?

Send me a PM if you want ;)

Craig

There is a radiator in the interior heating system (hot>cold only closes a flap) as well as the big one on the front.

You can bypass it as well as bypassing the throttlebody coolant thing.

What are all these mysterious posts about?

Send me a PM if you want ;)

Craig

ah so the coolent system is also going up to the throttle body, so if you were forcing the coolent round with an electic pump then it might have some odd effects with the throttle body?

damn, someone is catching on lol, i will PM you in a bit ;)

erm iam slightley confused lol...basiclly there 2 pipes that go through the bulk head, they go into the interior heater, ones an inlet and ones an out let. you dont need to force the coolent around if you remove the heaters and conect both pipes together...

or am i missing somthing? :S lol

erm iam slightley confused lol...basiclly there 2 pipes that go through the bulk head, they go into the interior heater, ones an inlet and ones an out let. you dont need to force the coolent around if you remove the heaters and conect both pipes together...

or am i missing somthing? :S lol

sure ok,

no i am on about pumping the coolent round the engine and heater matrix with an electric pump without using the water pump on the engine.

for example the engine has been running but it is off, you want to get the last bit of heat out of the engine without starting it again just switch on the electric pump, but will it still be able to pump the fluid round or will it get stuck in the mechanical pump cos its not turning?

Have you looked into the Davis Craig electric watr pump? You can get a 'booster pump which may sort you out.

Are you looking to completely remove the mechanical water pump?

The throttlebpdy is in parallel and only uses it for cold start benefits - I'm going to bypass it on mine with some sillycone hose.

I wrote this reply earlier and think that I've forgotten something, but oh well.

Craig

Have you looked into the Davis Craig electric watr pump? You can get a 'booster pump which may sort you out.

Are you looking to completely remove the mechanical water pump?

The throttlebpdy is in parallel and only uses it for cold start benefits - I'm going to bypass it on mine with some sillycone hose.

I wrote this reply earlier and think that I've forgotten something, but oh well.

Craig

no not yet, i have just seen some electric pumps on ebay.

i may be taking the mechanical one out depending if i can work out a way of it all running together without crossing over

Allow me to use my brain, I am sure that there is a simple/elegant solution somewhere....

Allow me to use my brain, I am sure that there is a simple/elegant solution somewhere....

i'm hoping so, the quickest i can think of is just stand alone cooling system and then an electic heater

Back