Coolant renewal

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
I know the basics of doing a coolant renewal thanks to my micra haynes manual. Has anyone got any tips/tricks to make things easier when doing a coolant renewal on a Micra?

Cheers,

MicraNut.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
micranut

i always find that it wont take the last 2 ish litres of fresh coolant, because the thermostat is closed
so i drive it for a bit with the cap loose, then when its cooled down it will take the rest

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
micranut

the easiest way i have found is to, drain all the old stuff out, fill the radiator up with a mix of 50% water or 50% coolant,(or wahatever blend you need for your climate) let the car idle with the cap off and wait till the thermostat opens then top up the radiator.

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
Hi all,

I did my coolant renewal on saturday using Nissan's L250 pre-mix coolant. The top and bottom hoses came of the radiator stubs fine, although the top hose clamp bolt was fouling on the metal aircon pipe until i moved it back along the hose.

Emptying the coolant expansion tank was a right pain in the butt! I had to remove the battery and its securing bracket but i had problems with the + clamp nut because it just wouldn't move (looked like somebody had a go at it because it seemed almost round!)so i used my dads bigger 10mm socket set to remove the nut. The - clamp nut came off easy.

The bolts securing the expansion tank were very long indeed as i kept using a ratchet socket to remove the bolts. Finally removed the expansion tank and drained the coolant. refitting it was hard because i lost one of the bolts down a small pre-cut hole just across from the tank so i got underneath where i thought it had fallen and banged about a bit. Sure enough i heard a tapping sound and the bolt fell out from the plastic wheel arch liner! I then proceeded with refitting the tank and refilled it with fresh coolant.

The coolant re-fill was easy after i had sorted out the problems with the bottom hose clamp (wouldn't go on easily). i refilled through the radiator cap using a funnel and just poured the coolant straight in until it came out of the radiator neck.

I then started the engine and run the heater at full heat and let the car reach normal operating temp. The temp gauge showed just over half which is fine and it didn't overheat at all.

Stopped the engine and let it cool for a few hours, checked the coolant level in the radiator and expansion tank and topped up slightly. I then ran the engine at about 3000rpm for a minute a rechecked levels and all were good.

All in all a bit of a pain to do. It took me THREE hours to complete. Thank god it only needs replacing every two years!

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
gee, to empty the expansion tank i just put a finger over the overflow outlet on the expansion tank and pursed my lips over the fill hole and blew the liquid out the radiator cap. (..... me and my micra are close!)

took me 10mins for a complete radiator flush.....

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
My method prob aint textbook..
Crack bottom radiator hose, drain it out, run a hose through rad until water runs clear, refill with heater turned on (car not running, but engine still warm, to avoid air pockets).. never had a prob. I dont have standard res tank tho, that cracked and was removed a while back, have a little stainless can (like oil catch can), makes it easy.

Back