Colouring the dash etc.

Doh!!! you know what i said about keeping the can a good distance away?

well last night i did the glove box and i sprayed it in the conservatory which is white and musn't be black... so i couldn't hold the can far enough away to stop the paint from running and it all went tits up!!

I painted my ash tray in the wrong colour, only noticed last night. Will re-do it black when i get a chance, is it just a case of sanding it down a bit? Will i have to prime it again before spraying?

Just about to fit the dash into the car, will post pics later.

Looking forward to seeing this!
Nex, how did you take your whole dash out? also is that colour your using the same colour as the car? if so where did you get it from because my car is the same colour as yours :)

Its all in now, looking pretty good. Girlfriend has lost my digital camera so ill see if i can get a pic from somewhere :(

The red is quite in your face. It was a pretty random pick of what red to use. Does anyone have a red micra? I really wasn't sure what paint to use. Im thinking about getting another middle bit of the dash from a scrappy, doing it a diff colour and see how it comes out before i do more parts, obviously want to get the right colour of red.

Any suggestions?

If i cant get a digi cam ill get a pic on the phone, it will be better than nothing.

I managed to find my really old digital camera that is about 1.0megapixel quality !! lol really bad picture cause of the camera, doesnt quiet do it justice but here you go.

The really bright pic is taken with my phone, think its megapixels is higher than my old camera lol. Isnt quite as bright as the phone picture shows but you get the jist.

When i get more red from Halfords im going to try and make it slightly darker to match the red of my micra.

Attachments

• Dash20008.jpg
    Dash20008.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 305
  • Image034.jpg
    Image034.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 280
Neither photo really shows the colour, first is a little dark, 2nd is a little bright, pair of crap cameras, gf needs to find my good camera! :(

Will get a decent picture when she finds it from a bit further away, had to go so close cause of the crap cams.

So can anyone recommend a red that might go with my body colour better. I used the Nissan red from halfords. I would say its a little strong. Looking for something maybe slightly darker to go with the body work.

Only way i can describe it, is it looks like Ferrari red, where as the micra isnt quite that strong red! God u get the point! :D

Looking good Korizin :)

Sanding is only if the surface isn't as smooth as you like. the paint should melt the layer below and bond with it.

you won't need to prime again if you already have paint on there. just make sure its really dry so that the paint you put on top has a solid surface to sit on.

Yo Stuart, the dash came from a car in a scrappy. it's pretty easy, just keep undoing bolts til it comes out lol, but i have taken the one in my car out and it takes alittle longer because i didn't want to break the car so:

15 min if its a car in the scrappy
2 hours if its your own car.

you need to take out:
steering wheel (not ness but makes it sooo much easier)
gauge cluster
centre console
glove box
gear lever surround
little compartment at the bottom of the dash
a pillers

so a big job hence why i got one from a scrappy cos i wouldn't be able to drive my car :) only £30 so not bad...

Your car is a slightly different colour i belive, its alittle bit more purple.
my paint code is APO
i got it mixed up at halfords for £10 every 300ml can of spray. i've been through about four cans so if anyone knows where i can get cheaper paint in a can not an air brush i'd like to know :)

check the pannel under the bonnet that gives the paint code. mine was APO-K but they only wanted the APO bit :)

it's almost exactly the same colour as my car and it looks really weird, i did a test with one of the a pillers and the body work comes in through the window to join up with the piller looks soo cool ;)

Yo Korizin
go to Helfrauds to get paint but check that the can they are about to fill up has a mixing ball in it because i have had two that haven't and they blew up on me!!! but luckily nothing was ruined and they replaced the paint even though i'd already used it all lol

Lift up the bonnet and look at the vin plate its just behind the brake res it will have your exact colour. if it's the same as mine it will be APO which is called Cinnibar Red.

Cheers mate, never thought of that, will give it a blast.

Will the paint colour still come out ok on top of the red primer?

Quick question, not sure if anyone will know the answer.

As i've already said it's definitely come out too bright. If i get Halfords to mix the paint to the same as the paint code of my car, do you reckon it will come out too bright still? Or it should be a bit darker.

ohh garlic red eh? thats weird name for a paint lol but then i have seen ivory black !?!

I sprayed all the red parts of my dash with a red dash paint that soaks into the plastic before i painted it with the car colour. this was so if it did get scratched it would still be red underneath so it wouldn't look too bad. so yes paint over the red primer. the real problems are when the primer is black but i've found that enough coats will sort that out :)

you will never get exactly the same colour. even if you go to a pro and get it sprayed with an air brush, the surface is a different material to the outside of the car and the surface is different. as long as all the interior is the same colour and fairly simmiler to the outside then it will look good :)

If the different cans of paint don't match then is because the halfords staff have been lazy when mixing it...

So stuart, are you gonna go for a re-trim??

i will eventually be shelling out £950 for the seats and doorcards to be done in red and black leather ;)

ohh well if it goes well and looks good then let me know and i might give it a go myself :)

oh i dont know about a re-trim :S
maybe eventually but 950 seems quite steep, maybe i'll just wait til you've finished with yours and buy your seats :p

paddymarsden said:
im going to go for a seat retrim...but gunna do it myself and will only cost roughly £50 and a soeing machine

Let me know how you get on with this as very interested to have a go myself when I get the time, going to get some standard k10 seats I think and have a go with them first so I don't mess up some good ones lol. I'm guessing it will be quite hard but I have taught myself how to do most of the interior, so will just have to practise. :) Big money maker if you can get good at it. :D

Its the stitching that is the hardest part, I dont think u can do it with a sewing machine unless its a big industrial jobbie, most companies still do it by hand

Really?? I didn't know this. That would explain why it costs so much, I'm guessing that is so they can get the patterns exact, to get a tight fit. Will have to research this me thinks. :)

Stuart said:
oh i dont know about a re-trim :S
maybe eventually but 950 seems quite steep, maybe i'll just wait til you've finished with yours and buy your seats :p

well then maybe i'll get my name stiched into the headrests lol :p

talking of which i want some kind of pic on the seats. the guy said he can stich anything on there as long as he has a source image so i was thinking the word MICRA or the micra logo...

any ideas ?

i hate putting names on or brand names, but i think micra in the micra font would look quite good :)

thanks mate :)

i just hope that i get it all finnished before i die of paint fumes lol,

oh and BTW it looks alot better in real life :) more sparkly

Aye, its really nice mate :) Ive almost re-done the centre part of the dash, although might be going down to the Nissan dealership to have a look at some newer K11's with a slightly bigger engine.

So may have to get painting all over again, oh the joys !

well as far as i know its not too hard to fit the old dash in the facelift micras... so all you have to do is get the same coloured car... but really if you have a 1.3 then your fine and if you have a 1.0 the a convertion isn't hard at all. in fact i think the 1.4 has so much extra crap on it that it is the same speed as the 1.3...

My dash is done now, got the last bit of laqure on last night and i'm installing it next weekend so i'll try and get some progress pics as it goes in :)

The 2nd dash i am painting should get it's final coat today.

Possibly going down to have a look at some new Micras in the next couple of weeks though, so going to hold off doing anything else until i see if i get a new one or not.

lewis said:
thats LOVELY!

thanks mate :)

i'm glad someone likes it because the other members of my house hold are not such big fans lol,

comming up to two weeks worth of work!!

Yeah, its very nice - my mate has it done in the surround of his 206, which has a crazy expensive paint job.....looks the biz!

I'm going to give that a bash I think, probably leave it for the summer though, trying to do anything in the cold is a nightmare!

You will need to post pics up when you've fitted it etc!

yea mate give it a go,

all you need is space, time and lots of paint... oh and a good face mask :)

i'll be fitting it this weekend and i'll be taking my laptop with me so i can do live progress reports :D

my dash is green, by far the best bit of paint on the thing! and ive kinda conned my mam into the seat covering bit :D considering putting the black back to matt though... oh and a full exterior respray :p

ohh :) if you work out how to do the roof and floor carpets then let me know cos the roof one won't come down and the floor one seems to be a special hard wearing one with insulation on the under side :)

Back