Clutch Change! Advice Required.

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

Im going to change 2 clutches in a row this weekend, so I need your pointers! First im fitting a nice new clutch to my Super S, and then im putting that half worn clutch on the Mongolia car.

So; my questions!

Do I really need to drain out all the oil! I dont wanna. Also, how do I refill it after, because the fill hole is tiny and miles down in the engine bay.

Has anyone got any pointers about jacking up and raising the car. Since im doing it with axle stands. Anyone know of a way to raise the car high enough with my normal jack, then raise it some more to make full use of the axle stands and give myself enough room.

Finally, for now, the haynes says I need to be careful about the gear thingys which might fall into the gear box. :S This scares the bejesus out of me, cause I can just imagine messing that up. It suggests pieces of broomstick. How exactly? Would rag be better?

Thank you all.

Some pointers

Dont use the nissan jack for anything like this! You want to get yourself a decent professional jack from argos, halfords or anywhere really that will support the weight of the car, then put axle stands in place.

Gearbox oil fills up through the speedo cable. You could always drain it out and then use the same oil again afterwards, but i'd just change it anyway. Your going to lose oil through the drive shaft sockets if you keep it in. To fill it up, get a long tube or pipe which comes all the way out the engine bay, and pour the oil into that! Much easier :)

Get a funnel for re-filling the oil and work with a large white sheet under the car so you can find dropped nuts and bolts and anything else that might remove itself. Also make sure you have a rag handy cos the oil all over your hands will mean you won't even be able to get a good grip on your spanner when re-building.

OK! First problem of the day... how to I take off the steering arm ball joints? I havnt actually attempted it yet but the car is up on axle stands waiting for me.

OK! First problem of the day... how to I take off the steering arm ball joints?

you dont need to take them off

just unbolt the 2 bolts holding the shock onto the hub then take off the clip holding the brake pipe to the shock and then when the hub is free from the shock push down on the hub when pushing out the driveshaft joint

Alright, didnt take long to get stuck :p

Taken off the lower suspension bolts, now do I have to take off the bellows thingys before the driveshafts come out?

Edit: OK! Done it!! Used a crowbar and a sharp wack :p Now whats the most idiot proof way to stop those gear things falling into the gearbox. Cause that terrifies me.

OK, got the starter motor off, reverse lights disconnected, speedo cable out etc. Next are all the mounting brackets.

But KFC first. :laugh:

this sounds like a right laugh...I'm with you on the KFC (hope it was a zinger tower burger with no lettuce?)

Have you got a digi camera handy for some action foto's?

lol...where did you put the end of the crowbar?

nah, spin the box on the drive shafts so you dont lose the oil and then it wont be messy. alway usethe correct tools jack and stands at all times!!!

Yes it is great fun Sammo, and no, obviously my meal of choice is a 2 piece variety meal with 7up. We have a college thursday KFC get together thing... shame theres no college now - but there is still KFC.

Yep Stu the car is sitting on axle stands now with a jack under the engine since the one of the mountings is taken out, . I'll take some photos of the job I do on the Mongolia car. Hell i'll be a clutch change pro by the end of that job, expect a tutorial on it asap!!

Good night. Pray for SUN.

------------------------------

Right, 2 problems....

I cant get the gearbox off. The haynes refers to 5 bolts, I dont know exactly which 5 it is referring to, but I think ive got 3, and theres 2 in there I cant find the heads for but I can see them holding the gearbox on...

Dunno how you can help there but meh.

Also a bolt rolled into the speedo wire hole :S :S Which is damn unlucky, but also very very bad. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Panic Over.

OK you can relax now!

Got the gearbox removed. It wasnt bolted on, just sitting on 2 pegs which I thought could be bolts but couldnt work out how to undo :p

Then I retrieved the stray bolt by turning the gearbox upside down which made a royal mess on mummys driveway. :laugh:

Attachments

• P1050578.jpg
    P1050578.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 287
  • P1050579.jpg
    P1050579.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 302
Getting it back on?

Its bloomin heavy. I don't have anyone to help right now, so how can I lift it back on?

Muscles mate :) unless you can put something under neath to support the weight?

Weedy Arms

Well the job is done. Used mum and a piece of rope to lift the gearbox while I fitted it into place. Then it was just tediously putting bolts back in, filling up oil, putting everything back in place.

And its perfect :D

To put a downer on the day, while washing the car my "1.2 Super S" sticker on the back started to peel :down: I'm really annoyed about that.

Just a note... it might be worth gently tapping two 3 or 4 inch bits of tapered broompole into the drive shaft holes to lock them while fooling about with the box. I didn't do this and accidentally turned the differential assembly allowing the gears to drop out into the box. That WAS a nuisance.

Pukka job that!

I might even have a go myself...i said i might...lol!
I got quoted £220 for a clutch change! :suspect:

Wanna do another one Turtle, would you do it for a ton?

Just a note... it might be worth gently tapping two 3 or 4 inch bits of tapered broompole into the drive shaft holes to lock them while fooling about with the box. I didn't do this and accidentally turned the differential assembly allowing the gears to drop out into the box. That WAS a nuisance.

I always just put a scrap piece of card in one side or use an old inner micra joint, that way it also stop any oil from coming out!

if you look under the gearbox their is a plug with a squar bit in the middle undo that that will drain the oil it will be stiff so be carfull and you dont need to take the drive shaft to drain the gear oil

Hehe. I did that last year. Best thing I've ever done! Of course this was in a 1991 GS!

If anyone is thinking about it I wouldn't go overboard on prepping up the car. New tyres and fluids, make sure theres a decent cambelt in it and think about some tougher shocks! All four of ours snapped in one day!!!

H

Hehe. I did that last year. Best thing I've ever done! Of course this was in a 1991 GS!

If anyone is thinking about it I wouldn't go overboard on prepping up the car. New tyres and fluids, make sure theres a decent cambelt in it and think about some tougher shocks! All four of ours snapped in one day!!!

H

I think i spoke to you on email! You sent me a photo of the car grinding on its tyres. It was also lifted up in the air on a crane or something just by its seatbelts? lol

Back