Choke Adjust

T

Tesla

Sometimes the car will start and then cut out 1-3 seconds later (when starting cold) always starts spot on when its warm.

So think the choke needs adjusting as I understand they just become badly adjusted over time.

Can somebody give me a quick run down on what to check and how to check it?

Its an 1989 K10 LS with Auto-Choke.

Cheers,
Chris

Any ideas guys as I want to do this tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• poorbaby.jpg
    poorbaby.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 332
Mine ALWAYS does this when cold, as does a few others I've spoken to about it. I think it's just a flaw in the K10, but if it isn't, I would be interested to know what it is :)

same here, if i don't keep my foot just touching the gas to lift the revs that little bit, it'll more than likely stall

Oh sounds weird but must be a "feature" of the micra. lol.

When should I flick the air filter intake back to "summer",

It is an auto choke problem, just needs adjusting. Also check your idle speed is roughly right!

Both procedures are well covered in the Haynes :)

What is meant by 'flip the air filter element back to summer' ?

I've heard talk of this before. How to change between winter/summer? I'm pretty sure the flapper in the intake track is vaccume operated is it not??

Trev

I have pretty crap knowledge as the micra is the first car I have eve had and therefore worked on. So this may be wrong!

On the air filter housing there is a switch you can flick between summer and winter. I think winter mode just means air is drawn in from the exhaust system where it is warmer making the engine run better. In summer the outside air is already warm so this isnt needed.

I dont know what is considered as warm outside though. This time of year ok?

I've never moved itfrom summer. I also chose winter to drill holes in my airbox! Best bet, as with most things, try it and see if it makes a difference.

So where is this switch? Top...bottom...front...back...on the snorkle thingy....any pics?? I may be stuck on winter and it's definately summer here!

Thanks.

trevor, i think your airpan has an automatic one of these (like a circular sensor thingie on the "Snorkle thingie")
I bought an MA12 last week and it had no flap, just some sort of sensor on it...
You clearly cant see it so you probably dont have one!

EDIT: Something like this, this is my MA12

DSCF0105.jpg

Yup, both my car an my girlfriend's car have that! They both also have a vaccume line that attactes to it (and goes to the carby, I think).

Thanks for the pic, cleared every thing right up!

only the ECC equiped car's have the auto one.

every other model (which is most) have a flap. Eithe way, it wont make a difference to your problems

Do you all actually know how to start the car properly? Theres a procedure.

Get in the car, touch nothing!

tap the accelerator pedal down about 1" and let go. you should hear a funny little noise come from the engine bay. Do not touch the throttle again

Then start the engine. dont touch any pedals, but perhaps depress the cltch if you fancy. The engine should fire straigh up and sit at about 1500 - 2000 revs

If it splutters and dies, your auto choke is knackered.

I disagree, the auto choke does go out of alignment/wears and can be readjusted. I did this to mine and it starts and idles ok without touching any of the pedals at all. I'm guessing the tap on the accelerator frees the choke butterfly to wherever the bimetallic wants it to be hence decent running. This is fairly easy to adjust, just follow the Haynes procedure...

My Car Starts Really Quiet and then when I add a little Gas, it goes "Vrooooooooom" and then goes quite again, think it needs an oil change...

Back