checking O2 sensor

CMF_marchsrilanka

» CMF Member
Hi,

I need to check the O2 sensor and found the below steps.

* Turn the ignition key to the ON position but do not start. Orange "Check engine" light will illuminate along with oil pressure light etc.
* To access error code retrieval mode use a small piece of wire, e.g. paperclip, to connect the bottom left two pins for approximately 2 seconds.
* Disconnect wire.
* After approximately 2 seconds "Check engine" light will start flashing fault codes. Long flashes are tens, short flashes are ones, e.g. 5 long flashes followed by 5 short flashes is code 55 = normal.
* To check O2 sensor, start engine. Light ON=rich, OFF=lean.
--------------------------------------

Problem is that I don't have a RPM meter installed to run for 2000rpm.... so is this step mandatory?

After checking the O2 sensor, how may I exit from fault codes? Is it done by just switching off the engine?

Also I really appreciate if you guys can makeout a pdf on how to clean the "Idle Control Valve" with pics just as the re-soldering guide. Coz we have unclear points like, how to adjust the idle after completion etc.

I really appreciate the help given by forum members to fellow micra lovers.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
I checked the o2 sensor by tanking it out fist, get a multimeter and burn the o2 sensor with a lighter and see if the readings change consistently. or just quick attach a air/fuel gauge...
as for idle control valve is fairly simple. remove the 2 screws and take it out be careful of the o-ring. clean with a throttle body cleaner, also do the gasket. adjust idle by leaving the engine on idle and turn a PLASTIC(be carefull dont damage it) screw. also there are heap forums on this. good luck

CMF_marchsrilanka

» CMF Member
Guys, I did a sensor check and got 5 long flashes and 5 short flashes. So I think the condition of the sensors are ok. But as my micra is getting difficult to start once the engine gets hot, I thought of cleaning the ICV as well..... the result was amazing... now it starts right on the first time.. I need to take it to a ride and will update you if I notice any issues. Thanks a lot again!

CMF_marchsrilanka

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

In some occasions, I still find it difficult to start and once I start, can see some black smoke going. Yesterday I did a sensor check and all the sensors were fine (5 long and 5 short flashes). I even cleaned the ICV. So what could be the problem?

Back