Changing Clutch And Need Help!

I have been slaving all day with my father in law changing the clutch and it has been a right pig of a job.

We have managed to get the new clutch on but now we are stuck , we cannot get the gearbox back on, im not sure if we missed to connect something before connecting it back but at the moment it is just hanging from one of the front supporting brackets.

We have tried jacking the engine and box up but we cant get it to line up at all and the dowels wont push on, do i have to line up the spline inside the box to correctly to the clutch plate?

Going to crack on with it in the morning so any help now would be apprechiated just dont know what to do?

Anyones advice on what you did to get the box back on, what comes first (oh and haynes manual pile of poo)

Thankyou

Attachments

• PICT0391.JPG
    PICT0391.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 434
how did you support the engine and the gearbox did you keep the supporting bar on underneath the car?

also we managed to get the gearbox to where you are but now it wont push on, is the spline inside the box not going inside the clutch plate? or is it because we need to use brute force to push the gearbox back on the pins?

please get back to me asap as we are going to be working on the car.

thanks

I take it that you have the friction plate dead central? try tweeking the shaft round a fraction, the splines need to line up for it to go on so a small angle adjustment could be all that is needed.

Progress Update : I AM REALLY SAD :(

Got the gearbox on and put everything back together and then now when you press the clutch it just flopps to the floor? also we cannot connect up the gear linkage to the gearbox and when it was connected (jacked gearbox up) we couldnt change gear.

when you push the gear linkage in the gear box and turn over the engine the car shunts forward , am really sad and confused please help.

Progress Update : I AM REALLY SAD :(

Got the gearbox on and put everything back together and then now when you press the clutch it just flopps to the floor? also we cannot connect up the gear linkage to the gearbox and when it was connected (jacked gearbox up) we couldnt change gear.

when you push the gear linkage in the gear box and turn over the engine the car shunts forward , am really sad and confused please help.

you must have dislodged the thrust bearing ash :doh: (very easily done) and the gearchange wont work till the rear mount is fully fitted :)
a cluch change is one of those jobs that you can pi## in a couple of hours, after you,ve done it about 6 times

I admire you're effort a lot mate! I myself gave up before starting to do it... preferred to put it all to the pro, was charged 70quid for the gear replacement 'installation only = 70quid'

hope anyone can guide you through this mate!
looking forward to have your clutch in place and working beautifully!

Oh dear, is that the bearing inside the gearbox? if i dislodged it how would i of been able to attach the gearbox back up?

If i have dislodged it am i ######ed? :(

you may have lifted the gearbox on from where the clutch cable connects which moves and could knock the bearing off, you will need to take it all apart maybe and re-do it, gutting i know been there done that :p

The bearing clips onto the clutch operating arm inside the bellhousing, that's the bit that pushes on the clutch. it isn't inside the box, the gearbox/clutch shaft goes through the middle of it.

so what would you suggest i do? get the professional to take it apart and do it again? do you think i could of damaged anything?

Take it apart again and have a look, it shouldn't be damaged, it will hopefully just need cliping back on. Have you a haynes manual to compare it with? failing that I'm sure someone (Frank) will have a photo of what it should look like.

Or when you have the box off again you can take a photo, someone will be able to talk you round getting this done yourself.

Where do you live?

so what would you suggest i do? get the professional to take it apart and do it again? do you think i could of damaged anything?

Ashers, it'll come off easy now...so well worth giving it another shot :)

hope this doesnt sound like im taking the ####, but you have connected up the clutch cable and readjusted it...try pulling on the arm that the clutch cable connects to, if everythings under pressure it should be quite hard to move.

if the bearing has come off you should see it loose as you start to remove the box, if its still on then theres something else up.

also if you wanna put it in neutral without the linkage you'll need to give the linkage attachment point on the gearbox a push/pull depending what gear its currently in, once that bit can be rotated left/right youre in neutral. :)

The whole car is back as it was when i started now though it means taking everything apart, and it took a whole day just to get the gearbox off and then a whole day to put it back again! :(

The lever on top of the gearbox the cable connects to is quite loose when you push it. Is it suppose to be loose? (It has fallen off before when putting the box on but we made sure there was enough pressure pushing it away from itself do it couldnt come off??)

The gear linkage is not connected , the gearbox end of the linkage is about 3 inches away & 2 inches below from linkage arm, even when you pull the arm to the gearbox to connect it , its way to hard it is like the gearbox is to far away?

Is the clutch peddle suppose to just spring down into the floor? when you lift it back up it springs back up into normal position, there is no pressure?

The top lever will have slight side to side play, but that connects to the fork that inturn pushes on the bearing...if the lever was swung around while fitting it will have moved the bearing, maybe even off the spline.

The engine will have dropped at the back and may need jacking up a fair bit, depending how stiff the engine mounts are.

The peddle will just fall to the floor, as iirc theres no springs etc it all relies on the tension from the gearbox / clutch.

If the bearing has fallen off, you might get away with just pulling the box out enough to remove the spline you then may be able to get your hands in and slide the bearing back on...though you'll need to make sure the bearing has clipped back on the clutch fork thingy...tbh from experience if it looks like it'll be quicker that way, it probably wont. (which makes this last paragraph pretty much useless lol).

Yes it only has slight play, because of this would you say it was connected? (we did put pressure on the lever so it wouldnt slip?)

Doesnt the rear engine mount connect to the gearbox? if its connected then why would the engine be lowered? even if we jack the engine up to get the linkage on wont that cause too much stress to the linkage when the engine is dropped back down?

Sorry about this but you seem my only hope

Just looked at my spare box, and theres a spring attached to the fork / top lever inside the box...which will let the lever return to its resting position..does yours do this? (asking as you mentioned the pieces falling out before and maybe the spring has jumped free)...that spring will probs help lift the clutch pedal back up.

but if theres no real resistance on the clutch pedal, im pretty sure the same as the others have said that the bearing may have either fallen off or slipped and isnt engaged properly on the fork.

I must have misunderstood/misread your other post as i thought you were saying the rear mount didnt line up...if the box is in gear you will have a bit of distance to make up...so it'll be easier to move it into neutral first then see how close you are, the linkage though should slide into position fairly easily...did you undo any other parts of the linkage at the gear lever end?

Hows the gearbox engine bay side mount sitting?

Back