Changing brake discs and pads

So this is something I've not done before. Not on a car anyway, and I imagine the concept is much the same as on my mountain bike, just bigger, heavier and.... surprisingly a LOT cheaper.

Anyway, I'm going to attempt to change my front discs and pads (not disconnecting the caliper) tomorrow. Armed with my new torque wrench, Haynes manual, and a selection of sockets and Torqs drivers, is there anything I need to know that I should be especially careful about?

Put something in the caliper to stop the piston sliding out and you'll be fine. You'll probably need a piston spreader as well because the new pads will be thicker than the worn ones :).

i use a g-clamp.
check the reservoir doesn't overflow whilst pushing the piston in.
remember to clean disc & pads with brake/carb cleaner before use

I can't find a piston spreader anywhere....

As for cleaning the discs and pads - is that necessary with Green Stuff pads with their break-in coating?

OK, that's a job for another day - turns out I don't have all the tools. It was great fun though, jacking the car up and letting it down again once I realised :D

How far did you get..? IIRC, it doesn't require many tools fwn.

I didn't have a 15mm spanner. But now I have a new set so if we get a nice warm dry day this week, I'll get it done. It's not urgent - my current ones have more life left than I thought.

I am a few days off having the money to buy shorter springs (decided to do that first, to see if I really wanna spend the money on coilovers for this car) so I'll probably aim to do it all at once, as the wheels will be off.

Back