Changing brake pads and discs on K11 1.3 16v

Hi everyone, as some of you may know, I'm in the middle of "restoring" my Mum's old K11, as it's now in the hands of my "Brother from another mother" : )

Anyhoo, the car came with a few advisories from the last MOT. Two of which were the front discs and pads are shafted, and will need replacing. Just how hard of a job would it be to replace these by myself? And where would the best place be to buy these from? (Euro Car Parts have a 30% off code going at the moment........)

Cheers

Unsure on the front discs, but I changed the front pads myself in half hour having never done pads before. Really simple.
I think it was a single 12mm bolt either side to lift the pad carrier.

I imagine removing the disc is just a case of the above plus removing the caliper? There's bound to be someone willing to help or some guides written before ;)

Good thing is our cars are just normal nuts and bolts, no splines or torx bits to faf with.

undo the two 12mm bolts securing the caliper to the carrier then undo the two 19mm bolts holding the carrier to the suspension assembly thats is jobs stripped down,give everywhere a good clean then use some copper grease between hub and disc and on the contact points of the caliper where it touches the steel part of the pad,also give the disc a quick degrease as they are normally have a protective coating on them to stop them rusting.refit in reverse,before moving off ALWAYS give the brake pedal a few pumps this is to get the pads back in contact with the disc.

undo the two 12mm bolts securing the caliper to the carrier then undo the two 19mm bolts holding the carrier to the suspension assembly thats is jobs stripped down,give everywhere a good clean then use some copper grease between hub and disc and on the contact points of the caliper where it touches the steel part of the pad,also give the disc a quick degrease as they are normally have a protective coating on them to stop them rusting.refit in reverse,before moving off ALWAYS give the brake pedal a few pumps this is to get the pads back in contact with the disc.

Cheers, micra. Er, anyone got this info, with some pictures! (As I understood about 20% of it!!!!)

I know Karl, I'd barely rate changing discs and pads as a 2/10 car maintenance job o_O. Templar lad, get on with it :p.

What exactly don't you get? I can take my brakes apart tomorrow and make a pictorial how to if it's really needed

No that's fine, mate. The penny will drop one day, I'm sure.........Although, it might help some people if there was a step-by-step guide to basic repair procedures like this, though......

No that's fine, mate. The penny will drop one day, I'm sure.........Although, it might help some people if there was a step-by-step guide to basic repair procedures like this, though......

You can't get more step by step than the guide kindly given in the link. I bet you'll find what you're looking for on youtube somewhere, but you really shouldn't need it, now get off your bum and take a wheel off.

You can't get more step by step than the guide kindly given in the link. I bet you'll find what you're looking for on youtube somewhere, but you really shouldn't need it, now get off your bum and take a wheel off.

I meant that there should be a sub section for K11 repairs (as the brake replacement on the K12 website could be completely different) sorry should have been a bit clearer. And as for "taking a wheel off" I've had the bloomin' things off about five times in the last few weeks to "refurb" them!

Back