Cat changed, car ok and some pic's!

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Well - £481.58 later ( grr ), the cat's been replaced. I'd actually forgotten how loud my exhaust is, it was silent with the knackered cat :laugh:. Performance is back too, it's back to driving like a 1.6 instead of the 1.0 it's been like for last few weeks. Only downside is the strong smell of burning paint off the new parts.

Knackered end, it's just full of lumps of cat matrix:

cat_bad_end.png

The good end, undamaged:

cat_good_end.png

The whole part:

cat.png

Three words Frank. Noisy. Smelly. Slow :laugh:.

Er no, 4:

Noisy. Smelly, Slow. Bloody expensive. :grinning:.

I would not have paid that ever for a cat! I'd have just smashed the guts out of it drive around like that or stuck a sports cat in as they aren't anywhere near that price and they apparently increase performance

Apparently is a good word ;)

I'm not convinced a cat makes too much difference, once you've changed the rest of the pipework including manifold. It must cause some turbulence but can't see it being hugely noticeable.

There's a massive difference between a cat and a decat car IMO never tried a sports cat though

The cat in question is a ceramic based item with rare metals on it. It is far more effective at reducing all nasties that come from the exhaust than the metal items.
It is also required for Euro compliance.

True, I phoned a place that did custom manifolds and exhausts but they said they couldn't do it because cars after 2001 with cat's are type-approved.

There is a way you can run without it.

I have this mod on my 2009 K12.

I removed the ceramic core completely and installed an O2 spacer from ebay in between the last sensor and the exhaust bung.

It makes the sensor think it is still working ok as it will heat up but does not get the full mixture that flows past it.

No check engine light as the computer is sent information that is still within parameters.

The reason for the two sensors is that it must read less Nox etc after the ceramic cat to show that it is in fact working correctly.

By spacing the second O2 it thinks that all is good.

Back