Car Dealership problems

N1554N

Site Supporter
Hi,
just bought a Micra K11 from a used car dealership.
after buying the car, we noticed 2 things:

- crack in the windscreen (passenger side - not sure of size)
- small oil leak from the front end of oil sump.

my GF has spoken to the dealership as it has a 3 month warranty.
They arent being particularly helpful.
They dont seem to think they should fix the crack in the windscreen as they say it was there when they sold it - my GF says it wasnt. I couldnt be there when the car was bought, but i believe her naturally.

the oil leak, i know for sure, is coming from a rusty patch from the front corner of the oil sump. all they have done is tighten the bolts which im not convinced will solve it.

just a bit annoyed as they offered a 3 month warranty but dont seem willing to follow through with it.
just want to know where is stand with these issues and if i should push to get them fixed by the dealer under the warranty.

i've read about cracks in the windscreen and the size limits. they carried out an MOT on the car before handing it over to us. it passed, and there are no advisories on it, but not sure how much i can trust the garage as its part of the same dealership....

basically, i dont trust these people one bit, and want to go back to them with a decent argument (if needed).
can anyone give their 2 pennies to help me out????

I suppose the question is, what does the warranty cover? quite often not a lot is the answer, worth checking in to though.

yeah, probably. a phone call is probably where the answers are :) but is it not uncommon for a dealership garage to pass MOTs that would otherwise be questionable if taken to another independat garage? just curious as to the crack in the windscreen as i think it is about 40mm and is in the path of the wiper blade on passenger side....

Such "warranties" are usually for mechanical issues, they often do not cover what would be wear and tear. (i.e. a puncture, duff battery etc.) Regarding the crack, they might be able to successfully say that it was not there as the MOT doesn't list any advisories so it must have happened after delivery. Not what you want to hear, but . . .

As to the oil leak, I would suggest that you make sure you put the problem(s) in writing, a simple email will do, so that if you have to argue about anything, there is a record that you advised the problem within the warranty period. If your email system has a "read receipt" request, make sure you enable it. Ask for an acknowledgement to your email anyway . . i.e.

Dear Sirs
Ref : Micra registration XX XXX XXX
Further to my verbal advice concerning an oil leak discovered since purchasing the car, I am writing to request that the matter be dealt with under the terms of the warranty that was given at the time of the sale of the vehicle. I look forward to receiving your advice as to how this matter will be dealt with and an early-date for the appointment so that you may resolve the issue. Please acknowledge receipt of this email. Yours faithfully,

unquote

Hope this helps,

Jeff

thank you very much! the cars going back in on thursday, if i'm not happy, i'll be giving this a go! :) Much obliged!

took the car back today. Told them it needs replacing. they've now ordered the part. 7-10 days and hopefully it'll be job done....

Back