Can the ECU be Flashed & re-programmed?

CMF_motorsport759

» CMF Member
Hello,

My K11 is a '93 model (door cup holders).

I was wondering if the ECU could be Flashed & re-programmed? I.e. with a higher rev. limit?

I see a 8K rpm. micra on the media files. What is the max. non-turbo rev. limit you have tried?

Thank you.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i think you need a daughterboard and 2 chips to remap yours, and if yours is a 1.0, then 9k is the most i,ve had, currently running a 1.0 with cams (275 and 245) 1.6 t/b, 40mm unbaffled exhaust system etc, and a powerband that starts at 6k lol

frank

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I don't see why people on a standard engine would want to increase the rev limiter. Firstly it's actually there for a couple of reasons - the engines from factory are made to a certain specification and they can't always be guaranteed above it (crank balancing issues above 7.5k spring to mind).

Also if you're just changing that and nothing else, have you actually put it on a Dyno to see if it's still making power when it hits the limiter? From what i've seen from my own personal experience it plateaus at around 6k RPM and then drops off after that. What's the point in removing the limiter if you're not making power? You're just putting your engine at risk by letting it rev out higher, and it's pointless if there really isn't any gain. If you don't care about the engine being a grenade, then by all means go for it, but if you haven't changed cams or anything else then I don't see the worth in doing it, personally.

You can remove the limiter altogether by covering the small hole in the chopper disc in your distributor, if you really want. You'll find 4 long slots and single small one. Cover the small hole up with some tape and the limiter should be removed.

---dens

CMF_motorsport759

» CMF Member
My thanks to Frank2 and 1300cc for their advice.

I plan to use my K11 for 1 make racing series. There are restrictions on what can be modified!!

Back