Calibrating the Speedo

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Does anyone know how to/or has anyone calibrated their own speedo before.

My one is 10mph out from start so i'm doing 30mph when the speedo reads 20mph, when i'm doing 55mph on the speedo i'm actually doing 60mph.

Any thoughts.

If it's not possible to do from the comfort of your own home do i need to take it to an MOT garage to get it sorted or should i just buy a new clock and be done with it?

Thanks all.

Will the K10 speedo assembly even work with an SR20? If so have you considered getting a set of euro dials and getting a speedo converter? Then you have 160mph dials :)

As for reconfiguring, I seem to recall someone mentioning the copper spring behind the cluster. But I don't know whether that needs tightening or loosening etc.

If you're not too worried about milage, chuck the speedo away and get a GPS unit instead. I think Kev has a GPS speedo

Arnold

The thing about GPS speedos is they arent great for checking during fast acceleration, for example when doing 0-60s mine goes about: 0, 30, 55, whatever im at after 60.

Im guessing with the SR20 in Batch's would go 0, 60, 105... :D

James said:
The thing about GPS speedos is they arent great for checking during fast acceleration, for example when doing 0-60s mine goes about: 0, 30, 55, whatever im at after 60.

Im guessing with the SR20 in Batch's would go 0, 60, 105... :D

Ahh ok, so they update every 3/4 seconds then? Thought they were a bit quicker than that.

4 seconds, now that would be nice!

Maybe with all of the turbo gubbins and some traction control...... :)

Buy a set of those aftermarket dials, white, blue, red etc... not the mechanical bit, just the paper stuff, which display up to 160KM/h, then get a Mph to kmh convertor for your speedo cable and bobs your uncle!

James said:
I seem to recall someone mentioning the copper spring behind the cluster. But I don't know whether that needs tightening or loosening etc.

Ive just stripped a speedo and located the copper spring...the adjuster? can be turned almost 90 degrees tighter this will make your needle read lower for a given speed......The adjuster? can be rotated looser but only by a small amount. This will make the speedo read higher for a given speed. If the spring adjuster is rotated too far in the loosten direction,, then the needle will not return all of the way back to 0 mph..../....kph

I dont have any measurements at the mo but if I do the measurements I will post the results here ....It would be nice if the adjustibillity was practical..I'll let you know...

Buy a set of those aftermarket dials, white, blue, red etc... not the mechanical bit, just the paper stuff, which display up to 160KM/h, then get a Mph to kmh convertor for your speedo cable and bobs your uncle!

Just quickly re-visiting this as i'm about to purchase the white dial facias and the mph/kph convertor.

If i stick on the facias and stick in the convertor then won't my speed be reading in KPH? effectively it won't increase the speed that my speedo displays as it'l be reading in KPH so my top speed on the speedo will still be the same?

think i'm having one of those blonde moment things......or idiocy....probably the latter the more i think about it.

need the speedo to have more than 100MPH on the clock or at least have numbers above that accessible to the needle.

i think in theory you should have 180 mph dials as when at 20kph on the dial you should be going 20mph on the dial with the speed convertor installed,

unsure tho, someone with experience should know

surely only if i fit euro dial cluster and the convertor.

not just with stick on dials?

the only way i can do it is with kph dial cluster?

No, if you stick a 160 facia on it, AND a speedo converter, that will give a 160mph speedo :)

The internals are just the same, it's just the front bits :)

You DO need the euro dials if your are going to use euro face with a mph converter. Or the distance and trip meters will mean nothing at all.

Also I would advice againt anyone touching the spring unless you know about spring rates and how they work. Another thing is you need to beable to calibrate it - and I DONT mean on the car so leave it alone.. That spring is not made of copper either...

Back