Buying a Super S, but oil light flickers

CMF_MaC

» CMF Member
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem, i am looking into buying a used L Reg micra super s. However the seller has stated the following:

"The engine starts fine and sounds fine for the first 5 or 6 minuits of running but then the oil lightstarts to flicker on and off and eventually stays on after another minuit or so of running. The engine does start to get a little noisier after this but i immediately turned the car off when i noticed this."

The car is along way off to drive and collect however it is only costing £100. if the above is a serious problem i will leave it. However for the price, and the cost of the repair is not alot it could be a good bargin! Im going to ask at my local garage and see what they think, but im sure a micra enthusiast on this site might know a bit more than i do about the Super S engine.

The car is being sold within 3 days so if anyone could help me out with this worry before then it would be greatly appreachiated.

Thank You

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
It sounds like a stuffed oil regulator (? cant remember tech name?) valve in the oil pump.

I'd leave it. Of course though if the body is in good nick and there's not much rust, look around and see how much a second hand CG13DE sells for in the scrapyards. I think there might even be one for sale on www.micra.org.uk .

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Mate very hard to give an opinion.For that price you would think something must be seriously wrong.Buying a low mileage motor easy to do if the motor is stuffed but I would be first of all looking at the overall condition of the body.Personally I would never buy a car sight unseen.Go see it and take someone with you how knows what to look for.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
How bout this,
Buy it, and if it does quit on you, keep it in the backyard and slowly dissasemble and sell or keep spare parts. Would surely be worth more than 100 quid as spares and in the end, you'd save yourself on parts when/if you get a newer working Micra. If i found a Micra for $100 or even $200AU, id be on it like a fly on sh*t :D

Even if both front doors are in great condition you could get 100 quid for them both and get you money back on just that.

But yeh, look at it before commiting. Otherwise you could rock up and its actually a model car of a Micra (ala dodgy ebay) :D

Back