Buying a micra...maybe

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
Hi guys.
Looking to buy a micra soon.
Have read the article in the articles section.
Is there any common problems micra's have?
Leaks/squeeks etc?

Anyone got any links to motorbike motors in a micra?
Hayabusa etc....

Anyone want to check one out with me inexchange for a free tank of fuel? (optimax or something, I'm in Syd)

Cheers,
Ed

CMF_Ollie240585 MSC

» CMF Member
Just look out for seals, suspension can sometimes go spongy after a few years, throttle bodies can be a real nightmare sometimes.

Nothing really major can go wrong with them!! Brilliant reliable vehicles IMO!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Common problems - aircon blower fan working only on top speed. As you read this is the resistor card burnt out. This is probably a sign of your blower motor needing some attention and reconditioning to prevent this happening again. Throttle body - bad soldering on the airflow meter part can cause an absolutely huge variety of problems. Timing chain - this will be becoming quite common nowdays I'd say. Not much you can do about it either apart from replacing the chain or engine with a lower KM example. Also gearbox bearings can get noisey and make thumping noises. Not such a *bad* problem but try and avoid an example which makes this noise if possible.

Most mechanical problems can be fixed for under $1000. Not to bad really. Just replacement parts at wreckers are getting harder to find. Smaller parts can be easily sourced from the UK and engines/gearboxes can be sourced from Japan without too much fuss.

Squeaks. Where does one begin? lol Nah they're generally pretty good. One of the better built small cars around. Leaks - none really.

Sometimes under the dash the blower motor vent underneath the black tirm panel between windscreen and bonnet can get a build up of crap, or the seals can die over time. Water can then drip down through there and pool in the passenger footwell.

Check for rust on the front radiator support and crossmember. This is the big piece of metal behind the bumper bar. You'll see the rust if you get right down and have a good look and prod. A bit of rust there is getting quite common and not an overly bad problem but be suspicious if there's ALOT of it. Micras are prtty rust resistant but no need to explain what rust is like.

Thats what I found looking at them for some time. I paid a premium to get my hands on a clean late model example and 9 months later i don't regret it one bit. :)

Back