Buying A '94 Micra

G

Gods Unicorn

First off, hello to everyone.
I am buying a 94 micra as a second car for the wife (and for me to play in)
I should get the car on wednesday if all goes to plan and I have a month to get the car back to the garage if there are any problems, so this is where you lot come into it, are there any things I should look out for in particular, any known issues. I am of the opinion that micra's are fairly sound and reliable little cars but if you know of any problems I'd be glad to hear them....Thanks.

I think the car is a K11...first registered 16-05-94, 998cc.

check for rust on the front crossmember, and see if there's any running problems coz that could be down to a faulty throttle body.

Engine sounds sweet as a nut and there is no signs of rust or oil leaks and all the panels fit nicely with even gaps between them, no signs of re-spray.
It's only done 50 K miles and had 2 previous owners.

It has a 998 cc engine, I'm paying £795 for it with a years tax & MOT, 2 new tyres and a full tank of fuel.
And its red, so the wife's happy too.

I have to fit a radio, so if anyone has a wiring diagram going spare that would be really handy.

you could haggle for a fitted radio, or supply your own and get them to fit it in the price, doesn't hurt to be cheeky does it.

Me cheeky, never.
I think I'd rather do it myself, if they do it they will probably want to hang on to the car for another day and the wife is getting a bit impatient, plus the fact that she is using my car and I want it back.

Gods Unicorn said:
Me cheeky, never.
I think I'd rather do it myself, if they do it they will probably want to hang on to the car for another day and the wife is getting a bit impatient, plus the fact that she is using my car and I want it back.

Lol, Welcome btw.

Geee what a small world. G'Day GU. Its Thomas here (you know, shamika!). :D

Goodluck with your micrahunting. They're fantastic little cars.

mines a 94 to and paid £695 for mine an its sound as 1 of the queens very own pounds! a part from the marks i put in it :doh:

jap cars are bad for the body but good 4 the engine!

Hiya Thomas, how ya getting on mate.
Don't worry I won't take the pressure washer to this one, the wife would kill me.

if you take it for a test drive, which i assume you will. Have a listen for dips in the engine tone and for when the engine might sound like it might stall...this wil be the throttle body, a very common problem with micras..

good luck with it any way!

Demarest said:
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf

But for a better and easier job, buy a ISO conversion wiring harness.

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/kroozin/show_prod.php?prod_id=2186

Also check under the passenger footwell carpet for leaks

I followed your link mate, but the wiring in my car is totally different to that shown, also the previous owner has chopped off the multi-plug so I need to find a wiring diagram, our local Halfords didn't have a Haynes manual.
Thanks for the replies everyone, got the car today and its a good'un.

Glenn said:
if you take it for a test drive, which i assume you will. Have a listen for dips in the engine tone and for when the engine might sound like it might stall...this wil be the throttle body, a very common problem with micras..

good luck with it any way!
When I turn on my engine my car sort of dips like what you said. Could that be the 'throttle body'? I don't have any ideas about cars lol so can you also explain what that is?

Sorry to go abit off topic, but hope the car is what you wanted!

Gods Unicorn said:
I followed your link mate, but the wiring in my car is totally different to that shown, also the previous owner has chopped off the multi-plug so I need to find a wiring diagram, our local Halfords didn't have a Haynes manual.
Thanks for the replies everyone, got the car today and its a good'un.

When i went to do my radio, i had the same problem, no plug!,
What i am going to do is find a micra of the same year in the scrap yard and cut the plug off that with the same wires, match them up to mine and attach the wires togeather, then buy an ISO convertor for a better fit. If you

The wiring diagram i linked you to is a "general" nissan one, so it wont match the micra exactly, i just used it to find out the color of the positive 12v, ignition 12V, and negative wire.

Check A1 motor stores/Mon and Bordor for the Haynes book

W4RDL3 M1CR4 said:
When I turn on my engine my car sort of dips like what you said. Could that be the 'throttle body'? I don't have any ideas about cars lol so can you also explain what that is?

Sorry to go abit off topic, but hope the car is what you wanted!

i am not exactly sure what it does, i assume it does something with the air passing through the engine or something lol :suspect:

there are hundereds of topics on the throttle body though, but if the car is pretty much at the stage where it feels like it is going to "conk out" then the throttle body is probably the reason..

A sensor in the throttle body measures volume, density and temperature of the air that is passing through it, tells the ECU and that tells the injectors how much fuel to inject. (I think thats right anyway)

Managed to get hold of a Haynes manual.......radio fitted in half an hour, Thanks people.

Thar she blows, not too bad for its age.

I think this is a K11, but I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm wrong.

Back