Buying a k11. is a super S a much better choice?

CMF_jdmvan

» CMF Member
Hi everyone, just joined up yesterday. Ive been looking into the world of micra's for about 3 weeks now as im looking for a replacement daily that has a bit of funk and something i can tinker with.

Im definitely going to get a 2dr k11 but is the super s a much better package than an LX?

From what i can see the super s has a tacho dash, body coloured bumpers with foglamps, p/s, abs, rear discs,factory alloys, sunroof and that's about it..? is there a difference in the seats/interior? no difference in engine performance, correct?

The above factory options do not interest me all that much and tbh the abs, p/s, sunroof all seems like added weight which would only slow down a small car with such modest torque figures.. in the articles section they list that as 15kgs more?!

Do all two door k11's have pop out rear side windows?

One more question as well. has anyone done a full writeup on "cut and shut rear axle". this is something im definitely going to do along with the front camber modification trick ;)

Cheers

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
so you asked a q then answered it? haha

no only super S have rear pop out windows, they can be swapped but its not as easy as you think.

i doubt youll get much support on here in regards to cutting and shutting your axle either most of the guys doing performance mods on here are track orientated.

welcome :)

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
lots of questions!

A couple of quick answers, Super S seats are much nicer, with some side support and a funky pattern.

correct, no difference in engine performance.

Only super S's have pop out rear windows.

imo no, a super s is not a 'much better package than an lx'. They are cool though, and if you can find one in good condition are a great little thing.

edit: need ot type faster in future... swapping to pop out windows is quite easy Kyle

CMF_jdmvan

» CMF Member
thanks for the welcome and the replies. as i said, new to micra's, not new to cars.

whats wrong with adding 1-2degrees neg camber on the rear? would that not help with cornering grip and obviously with tyre to wheel arch clearance?

so pop out windows on super s only. dam! i like that luxury heh.
Were Lx's ever optioned with sunroofs and p/s?

RBLUV WROTE:

"its easy but you need EVERY part of the assembly eh

understood. :) just read about it 5mins ago.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
jdmvan WROTE:

Yes! saw your handy work frank2. i like your style :) you get in there, get your hands dirty and try new things.

aye jdmvan, no chequebook modding from this neck of the woods ;)
you can see how much i cut from the top 2/3 rds of the axle, then i bolted an old wheel on and sledge hammered the top of the wheel to close the gap, but check the toe-in/out when you do it (i had to sledge the front or rear of one side, to reset it)

CMF_jdmvan

» CMF Member
Cheers :) I'll grab a spare axle from the wreckers and have a play around with it. i was trying to guess how you pulled it in after you made the cut. thinking you might have connected some ratchet straps and pulled it in that way. will have to keep an eye on the toe for sure.

frank2 WROTE:
aye jdmvan, no chequebook modding from this neck of the woods :)
that's what its all about mate. these car's are only worth $1000-2500aus over here so might as well try a few new things. Im not into spending $500-1000 importing spoilers and side skirts from japan for it :p

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Are you doing rear camber for grip? I believe just leave it at the -0.2to5 it sits and mod the fronts, camber is only really needed on corners anyways, if you search "the awesome micra" you will find a silver one that runs -4degrees in the front and -6.7 in the rear looks good, but that's all the car was created for, and I am pretty sure it's up for sale too

I own a super s, I don't have ABS, nor power steer, nor Air con the car is small and 15kgs isn't much when you think about it, you can gain it back by removing back seats/carpet/door cards/wasted plastics and whatever else there is, I have done this no real noticeable change

I reckon just get a LX unless you find a good clean Super S the only main difference I'd go for a super s is Disc Brakes all round (only cause I hate drums) other then that they have the usual cosmetic differences front and rear bars/pop out windows/better seats

I believe just get a micra first then decide the path you with to take it, lower it/wheels/exhaust/little stereo etc; but majority will possibly have faded roofs so be aware of that

CMF_antos

» CMF Member
I have a super s, but i kept an eye out for one as i wanted sunroof. i dont have ps and to be honest i dont miss having it from when i had my evo. im looking at doing lakeside soon and am running bc coilovers and whiteline panrod bar and rear sway bar. to be honest i match it up there with my evo lol. Someone did a write up not to long ago about installing super s pop out rear windows into normal shell as well. good luck with the search and let the fun begin =}

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
"Im definitely going to get a 2dr k11 but is the super s a much better package than an LX?"
Depend..personal choice i guess but not really worth the hassle. If you can find a decent lx for the right price then get it dont bother with the super s.

"From what i can see the super s has a tacho dash, body coloured bumpers with foglamps, p/s, abs, rear discs,factory alloys, sunroof and that's about it..? is there a difference in the seats/interior? no difference in engine performance, correct?"
Correct same engine but i assume lx will be bit faster due to less weight to cart around.
tacho dash = only good point i can think of for super s..but u can always add aftermarket one.
body coloured bumpers with foglamps..doesnt do much except for the bling..bitch to change the bulb whole bumber has to come off to access it. Hard to get replacement part for especially when the light get damage.
p/s and aircon = some come with it some dont ..not unique to super s
abs = come on how much does a micra weigh, dont really need abs. Plus remember super s is like 15+ years old now something this bound to go wrong especially abs sensors, impossible to find new sensor or even second hand one.
rear discs = not unless you track the car to the extreme. Drum rear will do in most cases.
sunroof = rust prone areas, probably need seal replace by now. Its only comes in manual operated..one of those thing u only use it once or twice and then never again as its too much hassle winding the thing.
rear pop-out window = dont know about you but 99% of the time im in the driver seat and the other 1% is when im drunk over in the front passenger side so never use the pop-out windows. Pretty useless bit of gear i guess.

Thats pretty much sum up my super s experience....so cant really say much about super s being a better car than an lx.

CMF_jdmvan

» CMF Member
I like the idea of popout rear windows, for ventilation and any backseat passengers wanting some air. they look pretty cool as well but meh.

I actually dislike the body coloured bumpers, and if i got a super s i would paint the bumpers grey/black. it breaks the colour up.

mimz, well summed up mate. cheers for your input.

CMF_OZChris

» CMF Member
I was in a similar situation to you when looking for a K11.

In the end, my budget ruled out the nice additions in the Super S. Plus, I planning to strip it out anyway :)

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
hotfunk67 WROTE:

"Power steer is not a standard feature on a super s. I've seen quite a few with no ps fitted, mine included.

No power steering in my SuperS not that it is really needed, I have abs and a/c.
When you go to look at them look out for a rear main leak and a noisy timing chain, if there is an erratic idle that can be from a dead air flow meter.

CMF_jdmvan

» CMF Member
Checked out an LX out today, drove well. pretty quick and fun to drive. paint was wrecked, too many dints + it had a grubby interior so im going to give that one a miss.

this one idled well. no timing chain noise either.

BTW can you receive private messages on this forum? not sure how this site works.

CMF_OZChris

» CMF Member
jdmvan WROTE:

"Checked out an LX out today, drove well. pretty quick and fun to drive. paint was wrecked, too many dints + it had a grubby interior so im going to give that one a miss.

this one idled well. no timing chain noise either.

BTW can you receive private messages on this forum? not sure how this site works.

I noticed there are a couple of 4drs on Gumtree - Melb at the moment - a blue one and a red one.

PMs end up as emails when you send a message to the individual. Just click on the username and you PM from there.

Back