Break pipe change

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
One thing I have never had is a break pipe problem but with MOT due it's always one of those things I've never wanted to have (not expecting to though).

I know the costs on new pipes isn't nice in the £100+ range for new ones.

What about salvaging off another Micra and fitting ourselves?
I remeber seeing a new set on a micra in a yard while back and was like jokingly "I'll get them in case i need some in future" but thinking about it thats not such a bad idea, or is it?

Since the pipes are ready bent and if they are in good condition anyone know whats involved to do this?

A pipe flaring tool, the unions and a roll of copper brake pipe came to about £60 when I changed the wifes brake pipes last month.

The trouble is that getting used ones off another car is very difficult, the steel pipes are quite brittle, and need to have some of the bends straightened to get them off, putting weak spots in them, they should only be bent once.

£100+ for a brake pipes where u going my garage we charge £35 a pipe unless u got all brake pipes gone it cant b too bad their right bastards to do tho if u aint a cheap scape i would recommend u save urself the hassle unless its tiny pipe u could just try n ask garage if they would flare the pipes n u fit urself it b cheaper if they did it

Think I need to explain more, main reason I ask is it's a skill I'd like to learn to benefit myself and other people in time, if I can learn to remove and fit already bent ones next I could learn to bend them or is it something best just leaving to a garage

hmmm r u able to some how lift car up so u can get under it nice n easy? cuz most of the time u will need to get under the car to remove the pipe.
most rotten parts r the corners next to the wheels if u get me but u do get rotten bits in the stright parts sometimes but also depends on the type of flaring tool u have if u have a small handheld slow winding one (u prob have no idea what im on about lol) but anyway that one is more "handy" cuz its easier to flare brake pipes on car, which means u can make joins in most places n save urself some hassle of ripping out whole pipe.

ripping out the pipes sometimes can b hassle ie lowing fuel tank so u can access the pipe behind it.
also u need to know how to bleed a car.
bout bending them its a piece of #### use copper pipe it dont rust like the steel so lasts longer but basically get the old pipe then kinda like run it agaist the new one n bend accordingly if u understand me ie pretend u had a string n was to measure something an awkward shape u get string n follow the shape yeh? well similar thing but using the pipe the pipe u dont need perfect bends as its rock solid to get nice bends the copper isnt that soft lol but then start shoving it back into the nook or crany it came outta connecting it into the clips it came outta sometimes these clips can b right ######s to get pipe out of but then connect unions n ur almost done.
when u bleed as well pressurise the brakes so u can c if it leaks or not but if not n ur brakes feels like it should well done jobs a good one :p

my last words when you done ur brake pipes ur never gonna really want to do it to make the odd quid here or there lol cuz i know i wouldnt

i presume it's the pipe across the rear axle that's corroded. if so, then you should easily be able to swop this from another micra, if it's decent enough. get some flared nut spanners though or you'll just round off the nuts. plenty of wd40 also helps. the clips are very brittle though so be careful with em, but you can buy new clips for pennies from nissan.

just to add getting a brake pipe off another micra like ur thinkin kinda half defeats the learning part...flaring ends sometimes they dont come out so nice n leak lol i know from experience

PMSL - all the lad wants to know is how it's done. I beleive his car is OK.

Does anyone KNOW how to do it rather than saying get an garage to do it?

Cheers Paul, it's one of those things that a common fault with old cars so it's something I'd like to at least have a basic idea about, if a garage said it was needed on mine I'd like to have some concept of whats involved, how it's done so hopefully I could request to at least watch or even help.

The costs people submitted have helped though.

Another question is do they bend them before they fit to the car or bend as they go along?

When mine went, (was only one though) it cost me about £10 for the copper, and then its just really a case of taking the old one off after bleeding the brakes, making the new one pretty much a similar shape to the old one with all the bends etc, then putting it back on. Its a relatively easy job, just a bit fiddly, can't believe some of you paid over £100 to get it done. :eek:

wilsonian said:
PMSL - all the lad wants to know is how it's done. I beleive his car is OK.

Does anyone KNOW how to do it rather than saying get an garage to do it?

fyi yes i do know how to do it n i done a very basic description of whats involved n yes i know i did recommend a garage 2 do it cuz they aint nice things to do on some cars n i normally delegate it to the other mechanics at work cuz i hate them lol

but bout point with bending on some cars its easier to bend after u stuck it in else it wont go through the nooks n crannys some u just bend n stick it on n ur done

Back