Brakes (discs from HalFrauds - can I do better?)

madmezza

Ex. Club Member
Just bought some pads an discs from Halfords (total is £60).

Can I do better?

I've got a speedy supercar thingy and people recommend Green Stuff pads for that on the appropriate forum, and I think I've seen mention of that on this forum, but I couldn't find any prices.

Also, I've seen a few threads on drilled discs. They certainly look nice but (a) are they kewl and (b) how much?

Cheeer y'all.

Green Stuff are 'ok', but not exactly good. They wear out rather quickly. Halfrauds pads should be fine for now, so just see how you get on with them :)

Break repairs.

Had my rear pads done at Kwikfit, but am now getting an intermittant break warning lite on my front panel. I can't isolate the problem at the handbreak switch. Any Ideas? Will call them today and complain, but I would like some info on the break system. The Haynes manual is pretty worthless on this.

I've been looking at black diamond gear.

Front discs with groove and drill pattern would set you back about £120 for a pair then £135ish for a rear pair (if you have ABS) - also the pads are about £35-40 depending on where you go.

ATM i have mintex pads on which seem to be ok, but need warming up first thing in the morning.

DRBL said:
Had my rear pads done at Kwikfit, but am now getting an intermittant break warning lite on my front panel. I can't isolate the problem at the handbreak switch. Any Ideas? Will call them today and complain, but I would like some info on the break system. The Haynes manual is pretty worthless on this.
could be that they didn't top up your brake fluid. it had a level switch which puts the light on on the dash.

wilsonian said:
I've been looking at black diamond gear.

Front discs with groove and drill pattern would set you back about £120 for a pair then £135ish for a rear pair (if you have ABS) - also the pads are about £35-40 depending on where you go.

ATM i have mintex pads on which seem to be ok, but need warming up first thing in the morning.

I have Black Diamond disc and pads, the discs are great but the pads are crap, loads of brake dust!!!

Back