Brake Rotor Question

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
Can anyone tell me the "mathmatical" difference in braking efficiency and heat dissapation between the two following rotors. Both using the same standard sized brake pads. Sorry I don't know the contact area of the brake pads.

Dia. Height Thickness
DBA628 250mm 45mm 18mm
DBA900 252mm 45mm 20mm

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Probably not noticable. However the thicker rotor should heat up more slowly if it is heavier (more metal to heat up) and so will be able to store more braking energy before overheating.
Just to complicate things, the shape of the cooling fins and ducts in the middle of the disk affect how quickly it cools down. You can't easily tell how quickly though. Check out the DBA website it has a PDF showing rotor dimensions and models they fit. In general the more horsepower the thicker and larger the rotor. LWC.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
rotors dont have much difference, its the calipers. i measured my N14 2.0Lt pistons a few weeks back, and they were 53.5mm on the verniers (std micra ones were 47mm), brake pads are also different, to what extent im not sure. i Think N14 GTiR/N15 2.0Lt (cisco) brakes have a 52mm? piston, but the pads are much larger, as are the disc's in diameter, and also more depth/vented area > 26mm

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/5749

---------------------------------------------------

With the pulsar brakes:

N14 Q 1.6 > 18mm Disc - 250mm diameter > will fit inside 14"
N14 SSS 2.0 > 20mm Disc - 252mm diameter > will fit inside 14"
and
N14 GTIR 2.0 & N15 SSS 2.0 > 26mm disc - 257mm diameter > bigger calipers, so will fit inside 15"

http://www.dba.com.au/nissan_2005.pdf < thats a good reference

---------------------------------------------------
Bendix Brake Pads for Pulsar's:

DB1216 - N14 1.6L
DB1148 - N14 2.0L
DB1302 - N15 1.6L
DB1281 - N15 2.0L

second time round i go the N15 1.6, as SSS said their newer > otherwise N14 1.6. Pads for my N14 2.0L brakes are hard to come by due to the performance lines being discontinued by manufactures. And same with the disc's, plenty of 18mm discs avail but i haven't found any other 20mm discs but the DBA's yet.

some more info to confuse. I doubt the accuracy of these weights > think their avg shipping weights, i got them off www.discpads.com.au , but what it shows the considerable weight difference of the monster brakes which cisco mentioned, plus the bigger calipers.

Disc Rotor Weights:

DBA420 4kg - K11 1.3L

DBA628 5kg - N14 1.6L
DBA900 5kg - N14 2.0L
DBA899 4kg - N15 1.6L
DBA901 7kg - N15 2.0L

------------------------------------

Alex

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
OK I'm confused, more so than usual ;-)

I looked at the Pulsar brake calipers I have and the OLD pads that came with them. They are not yet fitted because I am unsure which disk rotors to purchase.

The old pads have BD4WD printed on them & from what I can tell they are the same as DB1148.

There is nothing on the calipers to identify them as AD18V or AD22VF. I measured the caliper piston and it looked to be 53mm.

Now on this link http://www.discpads.com.au/ they are the pads for a Pulsar N14 2.0 1991 (Nov)95 so would require the DBA901 disks which have a 257mm diameter & 26mm thickness.

However when I go to this link http://www.dba.com.au/DBAcat_012005.pdf and go to the Pulsar N14 2.0 it shows I need the DBA900 disks which have a 252mm diameter & 20mm thickness.

I'm not worried about the diameter but that is a big difference in the thickness.

So my question is...Is anyone going to Canberra in June who have any combination of the Pulsar brakes fitted to their car, so I can bring my calipers and confirm what they are and what disks I should be purchasing?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
If you pulled them from an N14 wreck and they don't have AD18V or AD22VF stamped on them it is safe to say that you have N14 2.0L brakes.

Get the larger of the N14 discs available.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N13 CA16 front rotors : 240mm x 18mm
N13 CA18 front rotors : 250mm x 18mm
N13 Pulsar/Vector front rotors : 240mm x 18mm
N14 Pulsar GA16 front rotors : 250 x 18mm
N14 Pulsar SR20 front rotors : 252mm x 20mm
N15 Pulsar GA16 front rotors : 247mm x 18mm
N15 Pulsar SR20 front rotors : 257mm x 26mm

Alex

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
Tom, I "pulled them" from an eBay auction. The guy said they were from an Imported N14 SSS Pulsar. Um all Pulsars were imported weren't they?

That's why I am confused as I never saw the actual car they were from.

Looking forward to the list and photos Tom.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
well, n14 2.0L and 1.6L had their own respective brakes but they didnt change between the jap and aussie made items. This is because the brakes were imported from japan, not made here.

CMF_EVLGTI

» CMF Member
N14 GTIR 2.0 & N15 SSS 2.0 > 26mm disc - 257mm diameter > bigger calipers, so will fit inside 15"

The above comment is taken from further up this post.

The GTIR brakes will fit inside a 14" wheel as they come out from the factory with a 14*6" rim.

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
Alex, as you can tell I'm no photographer

Left Caliper

Attachments

• 16490.jpg
    16490.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 30

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
Cool, what I will do then is clean these up, replace all the seals etc. and paint them. Then I'll get my mechanic to fit them and new rotors. I was quoted $230 RDA Slotted. Then if they get the wrong rotors, they can worry about returning them and getting the correct ones.

Almost a hassle free brake upgrades.

BTW, I am more than capable of doing the brake upgrade myself, I just don't like getting my hands dirty these days.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
My old N14 SSS brakes had R4 stamped on both calipers. Plus a funky radioactive stamp thingy.

Other than that they look the same. I'll add your pictures (and alex's) to the little thing I'm writing up at the moment.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Alright well I wasnt able to find the model number of the n15 calipers, nor was I able to find any decent pictures of the N14 2.0L japanese built calipers.

However I have images of pretty much everything else known to fit the UK built K11.

Back